First Vet Appointment / dogsitter

Thread: First Vet Appointment / dogsitter

DefaultFirst Vet Appointment / dogsitter

Hi guys! Its Dash's first Vet appointment since I adopted him and I was wondering if any of you had any "general important questions" that may slip my mind. I get nervous at my own doctor, and now Im really nervous for my lil one! I know, its dumb! ???

And.... I took all of the advice here on the BB and hired my lil sister as a dog sitter while Im gone at work for 8 hours. Dash is now 14 weeks old and is doing really well on the potty training. He hasnt had an accident in the crate for over 3 weeks now. What would be an appropriate age range where I could have him by himself for the work day? I have other dogs (older) and they're fine all day, but I got the others when they were older! What do you all think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: First Vet Appointment / dogsitter

General rule of thumb... puppies can "hold it" for the # of months old they are plus 1. Inother words... 3 month old can hold it for 4 hrs, 4 month old can hold it for 5.

Ender is 16 weeks old now and we leave him in his crate for the whole day with a noontime break for lunch/potty. So... 4 hrs total at any one time. He could probably hold it for longer but it's just easier for us to do the midday thing until he can hold it for a full 8 hrs.
    ~Lindsay

Thanks Ender's Mom! Youre always so full of useful information, and your puppy is too cute! ;D I always enjoy reading your posts. I learn something new everyday! Thanks again

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lol... thanks for the compliment but I forgot to reply to the first part of your post.

Here are some questions I asked and ones I wish I had asked at my first vet appointment:

Heartworm medication: Do they match online prices?
    24HR Emergency: Do they have a phone number or vet on call or ?
    Pricing and details of the spay/neutering procedure for future reference.
    General wait time for appointments-this might be something you learn trial and error... my second vet appointment was 40 minutes late... Ender, Eric and I were going insane in that little room with nothing to do!... needless to say we are going with a different vet.

Ummm... I think that's it for now...
    ~Lindsay

DefaultRe: First Vet Appointment UPDATE!

Well..... Dashs first vet appointment was excellent. He got the seal of approval, not that I was real worried about it, but when you adopt you always have that little "what if" in your head! Hes a healty 20 lbs and I put him on the revolution that my other dog is on, that way it does the heartworm and flea treatment in one tube. I love it and highly recommend it to everyone. I also found an awesome place to order the stuff online at such a discount www.petshed.com. I used to order from petmeds.com, but this place saves me like 50% off.
    Anyways.. I was so happy for my lil one, he was so well behaved at the vet too. I was so surprised that he was that good too at only 15 weeks old, and I brought my other dog with me at the same time :-\!!!
    I am such a proud mom and I just wanted to share it! ;D

Congrats!!!

Regarding Revolution... I don't think I've heard good things on this forum... honestly I'm not sure how a topical medication would prevent heartworm. Might want to post about that in the Nutrition/Health forum.

Isn't it great when they behave themselves at the vet? I was so proud that everyone keep saying, "oh he's so mellow.... " etc. ;D
    ~Lindsay

Thanks. I did post it on Nutrition just now! I have heard some negatives on Revolution, but I guess as everything, I am the exception because I have had really good results on it from my other dog and I have recommended it to other friends with dogs and they all love it as well, with no heartworm issues either.

Your Dr might ask about your pups stool, I would have an idea if its hard or soft before hand.

I would also ask for a shot schedule, so you know whats to come. Once you finish your rounds of shots, they are sporadic and hard to keep up with. Having a schedule lets us know when we have one coming up without needing a reminder from them.