Upset at Gabby
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upset at Gabby

DefaultUpset at Gabby

Gabby had a bad morning.

We have opened almost the entire house to her this week now that she is better potty trained (no accidents yet!!! Gladly). We give her plenty of attention since I work in the evenings and my wife works in the mornings. I am constantly playing with her and making sure she doesn't get into trouble (which I understand she will at times). Today I was constantly trying to keep her out of going underneath the bed and she would listen. She insisted one more time and when I pulled her out, she attempted to bite me. I didn't lose my cool and told her in a stern voice no bite. She got really aggressive and jumped at me trying to bite me. This is when I went to her mouth and tried to keep it shut and telling her in an upset manner "No Bite again". I let her go and like a little teenager she got really rebellious and kept at it. I had to try really hard to pull her and put her in timeout. After 3 minutes in her crate, she had already fallen asleep. I just had to get this out, she really upset me. I really don't mind all the scratches and bites (of which I have so many) she has left, but I just got a little frustrated with her with this big scratch she left this time with her bite. She has plenty of toys, plenty of playing time, room to play. I just hope this was just a little episode with her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Upset at Gabby

It is just a stage, really!! Hang in there and keep reinforcing what you've been doing

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by toro03
    She got really aggressive
    Not aggressive, dominant. And your reactions were good ones, except for the time-out in the crate -- the crate should, IMHO, not be a punishment place.

Based on her age, it may not be too soon for you to use a dominant down to show her you're still in charge and running the show. Because dominant behavior in a young'un is going to continue, most likely, until you've got a 80-90lb Lab giving you what-for!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain! CoCo gets into little tantrums where she is just b_a_d, and I know that she's trying to exert her dominance.

If you don't mind me hijacking, Dweck - what exactly is a "dominant down"?
    ~Jo & CoCo

WOW!!!! I commented about this in our blog. I got a gash in my arm from where Petals was playing with her toy near my arm and just turned and wrapped her mouth around my arm.
    With her baby teeth it put a good gash on my arm. She minds me a little more then my wife, maybe because I can see that she is getting a little more dominate and I can cut it off before it gets bad.
    Last night she was about 100% better though. She is starting to retrieve so we spend about 45 minutes at a time getting her toy and throwing it. I have realized that maybe she does this because she is bored and want to burn some energy. Once we started playing with her and her toys she calmed the biting down.

Dominant down - depends on your dog and his/her temperment.

It could be as simple as, when the dog starts acting dominant, you give the down command and take the wind out of his/her sails.

OR, in Wesley's case when I've had to use it, it is actually taking him by the collar, FORCING the down, and getting into his face, sternly: I DON'T THINK SO! NOW CUT IT OUT, MISTERBOY!! I've been known to lie on top of him while delivering this sermon, to drive the point home.

Point of warning, though - You don't want to be doing this until you can read your dog's body language down to the hairs on his whiskers. Because without that thorough knowledge of your dog and his/her ways, you may be setting yourself up to be bitten.

She's given me a few gashes already. It was just a bad morning. She should wake up from her nap soon and I'm almost sure she would be much better right now. I just had to vent out. Plus I've spent part of my morning emailing pictures of her to my family.

I too have some gashes from the puppy razers!

Thanks for the dominant down info Dan.

CoCo seems to think down means go down and pop back up again. Would you recommend using the leash to keep her down?
    ~Jo & CoCo

It depends on what you've told her to do.

If you've just said DOWN and nothing more and she goes down for a blink and pops up again. She's done what you told her.

If, however, you say DOWN and then STAY, she's supposed to be down until you release her.

Exact language for exact behaviors.

This is why we get after our beginners who say SIT DOWN! It's impossible to do both at the same time -- the dog is either in a sit or a down, but not both concurrently!

toro03, sorry for hijacking your thread! But I am sure the info Dan is given can help in your situation as well!

This is what I end up doing (and I know I'm getting trained, not her, so I need to find a better way):

I say DOWN, and move my hand down to the ground... I almost have to touch the ground in front of her sometimes.* And she may pop right back up, but she doesn't get reinforcement if she does.* I used the treat-to-the-ground method of teaching her, which I realize now completely explains this behaviour!*

She would never just drop into a down on command though, I have to get her to focus (usually using a treat) and then put my hand down almost to the ground.

Most of the time when I say STAY with my hand up like "stop", she will stay, but not consistently... If she does stay down, I can sometimes back around the corner, out of sight and she'll stay in a sit or down stay.* I guess we just need to keep working on it.

Thankfully, the obedience class we start in a few weeks teaches clicker training!* I'm looking forward to learning better ways of training CoCo.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast