Grrrr...

Thread: Grrrr...

DefaultGrrrr...

Dama has been sleeping through the night just fine for quite a few weeks, but for the past three nights she has been waking me up (a single loud bark repeated until I get up) to take her out to pee! I know she can hold it through the night and I don't give her water before bed, so what is she doing???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Grrrr...

Is your dog getting the same amount of exercise that he/she was before this started? Have you changed anything about your routine or moved where he/she sleeps?

I have a counting system that I put in place when Allie pees, for me to determine if it was really needed or her making excuses to get out of the crate. Usually if she pees for 8 seconds or more, it was truely needed, if she is done before I start counting, then I know shes just not tired or something else is up.

We haven't let Allie out of the crate at night since she was about 5-6 months old, shes 11 months now...

Do you exercise Dama right before bed? Maybe a nice long walk would help not only to allow for pottying but tite her out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hmmmm... we are giving her the same amount of exercise (she gets two long walks a day and then some backyard running fun) and we haven't changed the place where she sleeps (although she did destroy her bed the other night so she is sleeping on a different pillow). I know she doesn't really need to pee because, like you said, it seems like she squats and then gets up...

debjen is offline Senior Member

My boy started to do this a couple of months after coming home after sleeping through the night .. after a couple of nights I was pretty sure I was being played because as soon as he went he would run back upstairs and jump on the bed and be curled up by the time I got back upstairs..(I would put him back in the crate when I got upstairs)..so the next night I opened up the crate asked him if he had to go out and he jumpred up on the bed and curled up...back into the crate he went..next night I told him to go back to sleep..and eventually he stopped asking...but be aware if you do that he might have an accident if you ignore when he really does have to go out.

I found with Bailey, that as he got older, bigger and stronger, the amount of excersize that used to tire him out no longer did. Sooo, that could be the case with Dama. She's stronger and fitter and now may need a little more.