E-collar advise
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E-collar advise

DefaultE-collar advise

We are debating about whether or not to get an e-collar for our 8 month old lab for training purposes, primarily bolting for other people and/or dogs. What are the pros and cons of e-collars?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: E-collar advise

Personally I would never use an e-collar for something you can easily teach with a leash. I use an e-collar for field training but I taught all the obedience and agility on a flat collar and 6 ft leash.

Have you tried a basic obedience class?

Dani is offline Senior Member

This would be an improper use of an e-collar. Get to obediance and perhaps a little more exercise.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If you go to page 7, there's a post "Wireless Fence"..there's some discussion of ecollars there. We used one on our dog, and it was a good tool.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Puff wears a* Dogtra 200-NCP every morning when we go out for a 60 minute off leash walk and retrieving trials in a natuire preserve.

This model has a "P"(pager/buzzer), a "Nick" (brief shock), and a "C" (continuous, up to 5 seconds).

It is usually weeks between times I use the "N" and months (maybe years) between times of using the "C".

There are a variety of other devices you can use -- for example, what about a 50' check cordr long line?

My reluctance to use an e-collar was based on the belief:

["To a man with a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail."

So, the important question to me/to you* was/is* -- how well do YOU know the Laws of Learning -- the principles, the sequences, the relationships that lead to learning or interference with learning?

My PhD was in animal learning and I was VERY reluctant and hesitant to use an e-collar with my Lab.* And I knew the basic laws of learning better than most.

I strongly suggest you try some puppy/dog training classes first.

These are NEVER so much geared to train your pup as they are to train YOU in HOW to train your pup.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I strongly believe that no one NEEDS to use an e-collar. With the right work, everything can be trained on a normal collar/leash.

Cons: shocking your dog with electricity is cruel and unnecessary, its an expensive piece of equipment when you can get similar results with humane methods of training, the 'easy' way --anyone can strap an e-collar on a dog and fire away, can have devastating results if used incorrectly, can actually make the dog WORSE when misused

Pros:....none, IMO!

As for your problem, you can stop this. Let me start by saying that what you are experiencing is normal. Labs are such friendly outgoing dogs that they think everyone is their best friend. With age, most dogs tend to grow out of the 'must-say-hello-to-everyone' phase. In the mean time I would work on getting your dog to heel off lead and, most importantly, train the recall. There are a million topics on this board regarding the recall --read and observe.

Trickster I couldn't disagree with you more. I'm a huge fan of the e-collar and have had wonderful success using it. I'm not "firing away" jolts of electricity on my dog, that would be wrong. If you would consider tools like prong collars then you should at least consider an e-collar as an option. I feel that prong collars can do MORE damage than an e-collar because the amount of correction from the e-collar is not determined by the amount of force the dog is applying on the leash. I have more regulation over the corrections than other tools.

I also have a Dogtra with a vibrate, nick, and a 2 second continuous option. Also, I have taught my dog majority of her obedience using a leash and the e-collar. I'm working with a trainer who flies all over the country giving seminars. Her dog "Scooby" is a Rescue Dog, and Police Training Dog. She LOVES dogs and has made it her life. If this was considered not humane, why would any trainer teach it???

To say that e-collars are not humane and it’s taking the "easy way" is obtuse. The e-collar is a great training device that works, and works well. I can use it with or without a leash determining the task. I find the e-collar to be more versatile than most other training tools because it can be used with out a leash. Many tools are hard to convert from a leash activity to a non leash activity.

2labs2love, if this is an avenue you wish to pursue, I do recommend you find a trainer in your area to get you started down the right path. The methods used are not simply pressing a button when the dog is doing wrong, there is MUCH MUCH more to it than that, mis-use would only confuse the animal and make him/her leery of wanting to put it on.

You will find a large portion of this audience is against e-collars, but there are several people on this board who are for it, but may not openly state it due to the comments that tend to follow e-collar questions. Please feel free to ask me any questions that will help you make your decision.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Brian, I couldn't disaggree with you more.

Ecollars do have a place but not until AFTER a dog has been trained and has an understanding and concept of basics BEFORE you strap it on. Their intended purpose is to help aid in training of FIELD DOGS for recall and hunting purposes not
    primarily bolting for other people and/or dogs

The OP's problem is that he is allowing the dog offleash with NO recall. That is not an ecollar issue, that is leave your dog onleash until you've trained them properly. That would be getting a 50 foot check chord and working everyday on this.

My dog was not trained with an ecollar and his recall is on point...even when he's in pursuit of a squirrel.

OP needs to get to a class.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

If this was considered not humane, why would any trainer teach it???
    I'm willing to bet you haven't met too many trainers...you'd be amazed with the harsh methods some use/teach!

As I said, I do use an e collar on my dogs in the field (where I'm a great distance from them), but to use it for everyday obedience is just lazy!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

My only problem with going right to an e-collar is that if it doesn't work for you or your dog, what then?? There's nowhere to go 'up' from there.

You're killing a flea with a howitzer, IMHO.

Better is to have a progression that you can work up to (and back down from), giving only as much oomph as you need. This would, to me, look like the following:

• Flat buckle + leash + patience and praise
    • Choke chain + leash + patience and praise
    • Prong collar + leash + patience and praise
    • E-collar + patience and praise

You go only as 'far' as you need to to teach the dog not to forge. Once learnt, you can back down a level, solidify the behavior, and move on. If one level doesn't work, try the next one up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast