need help acting strange

Thread: need help acting strange

Defaultneed help acting strange

Hello everyone
    I have a few questions Jack is going to be 11 months (on 5/4) and he has been acting kind of strange he has become less active in the morning we get up around 6:30 sometimes we have to wake him up then he will go downstairs, go out potty and just come back in and lay around on the couch ?? can this from being tired from doggie daycare the day before?

Do they go thru a fear period at this point - I have notice when he is outside sometimes he will hear/see something and go running to the back stairs and the other day my dh was putting the garbage can back in the yard and Jack froze and just looked at him like "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT" and he has been taking the garbage in and out with my husband since he was 5 weeks old.

How do you make him feel better without making him think it okay to be scared ???

What stage is he in at 11 months and what have you guys experienced at this stage with your labs?

Also every once in a blue moon when he get to excited he will sound like he is gagging - but he is eating and drinking GREAT has everyone had this happen ??? should I be worried ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: need help acting strange

Lots of questions...let's see if I can answer some.

At 11 months he is in the teenage period. This is a time where they like to test the rules (not unlike human teenagers). Be consistant. If necessary, go back to sq one for training. Don't worry they will work this out.

Also, during this time, they have another fear period. It is critical that during this time the dog is exposed to as many different people, places, things as possible but the experiences need to be positive. For example, a dog attack during this time could cause lifelong fear issues. Do not coddle Jack when he acts afraid. Get his attention, have him sit or heel or whatever in your normal tone of voice. I ask my dogs to investigate things they are unsure of. If they are afraid at first, we just heel around and around the item until they get close enough to check it out. I will touch the item, pat it, move it, ask them to sniff, etc.

Daycare is the best! Daycare wiped out Murray for a day or two so I think that is normal, however, if you are at all concerned about Jack, I'd have him checked by a vet.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I agree w/ rottnlabs but wanted to add one thing. I think if they have worms they can start acting differently. Is he taking Interceptor or Heartgard? Heartgard doesn't kill whipworms, and I do think the behavior you are describing is a symptom of those. Conversely, If your dog is on Interceptor faithfully, I'd rule this out.

Just a thought.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

THANKS JACK TAKE HEARTGARD - SHOULD I START GIVING HIM INTERCEPTOR NEXT TIME?

WHEN DOES THIS FEAR PERIOD END?

THANKS FOR YOU REPLY I FEEL MORE AT EASE?

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Ok - I may need to be kicked out of here today because I'm in smart a$$ mode - but if you need help acting strange - I think I can handle it for you -call for advice! (forgive-weird mood today!)

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSMOM
    THANKS JACK TAKE HEARTGARD - SHOULD I START GIVING HIM INTERCEPTOR NEXT TIME?

WHEN DOES THIS FEAR PERIOD END?

THANKS FOR YOU REPLY I FEEL MORE AT EASE?
    I'd take a fresh stool sample in and have your vet evaluate it. I do think Whipworms are notoriously difficult to find in the stool, and harder still to get rid of. But who knows, the sample might turn up something else completely.

I don't know when the fear period ends -- mine is in one right now. She was growling/barking at a shoe under our ottoman the other night. She was scared and actually shaking as she approached it. I felt bad for her ... but was glad to see that she did go up and investigate it. Rottnlabs gave you good advice on how to act when your pup is afraid of something.

Best of luck!

Allie is 11 months old and is fearful of things. I posted a comment here the other day about her being scared around cats. Many times after dark Allie will run in the doggy door like something really scared her. Usually I will go out with her and investigate to show that there’s nothing to be afraid of. We have armadillos and rabbits and she is frightened if they approach her.

Also, she no longer wants to play at 5:30am when we get up. Usually my wife lets her out of the crate and she will sleep with me until I get up, but 5-6 months ago, she wanted to play fetch at wee hours of the morning. not anymore...

Allie's behavior seems normal, the scared bit is being worked on, but the calmness im enjoying...

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog
    Ok - I may need to be kicked out of here today because I'm in smart a$$ mode - but if you need help acting strange - I think I can handle it for you -call for advice!* (forgive-weird mood today!)
    Just what I was thinking.....I am as strange as it gets today! PM if more help is needed

Thanks for all the advice I'm glad to hear it's not just Jack. I'm enjoying the calmness too most of all in the morning

I'm so proud of him he has been left home 2 days this week for 7/8 hours and there was NO mess when I got home (knock on wood for tomorrow)

Now if I can just get the cat to like him

Today is a day for strange moods all around :P

Thanks again