Loose leash walking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose leash walking

DefaultLoose leash walking

Daly is a little over 5 months old now, and we're very proud of where he is obedience-wise. He's actually great at walking on a leash, when nobody/nothing else is around. I know he's young and it takes time to not lunge at every other person/dog around, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or timelines of when their dog started ignoring other people/dogs on their walks.

We started our first night of obedience training last night (we've already gone through puppy kindergarten), and he was just a nut, which was fine cuz he's exciteable, but I'm just wondering if it's actually helping teach him to ignore other dogs, or just choke himself on his leash :

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Loose leash walking

What kind of collar are you using? Frankie was the exact same way until the trainer in our obed. class suggested I try a prong collar. He's like a different dog now I only had to give him one teeny tiny pop correction the first time he pulled to get at another dog, and now he doesn't even try it. He's also amazing in class with it.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

An ecollar can work just like a prong colar in this respect. Any pulling results in a nick, this way you can eventually lose the lease and still be garenteed the same result.

I would suggest any use of ecollars should be backed up with a professional trainer for proper use.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Our trainers are against prong collars.

We have him on a limited slip collar right now, but I'm thinking of trying a gentle leader, at least just during class. My arm is tired today! 50 pounds of out of control puppy *

what's an ecollar?

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

e-collar has a small batter in it and gives the dog an electrical impulse (of varying degrees) as a correction. They're mainly used for off-leash field work, but people have had success w/them teaching obed.

A timeline for when your dog will learn to walk nicely on a leash is impossible to project. It depends on a millon things, including how often you practice, what methods you're using, and what the temperment of your dog is.

There's no way anyone here could predict it.....

I know, I didn't ask for a prediction, I asked what other people experienced. I know that everyone/every situation is different but I think that other peoples experiences would be good to know about.

Dweck is correct. Other peoples experience will be based on amount of practice and tools used. We started Allie at 8 months on the ecollar and she had walking on a leash in like 1 week practicing 5 days a week for 30 mins a session. BUT, we also attend group classes once a week for an hour with distractions, which has paid off times 100. That is why Allie walks nice on a leash, because she has learned the basics with no distractions, and now has improved while working around distractions.

I've seen puppies at 8 months taught to walk nice on a leash, and I've seen 11 year old dogs who can't walk down the street without yanking their owners arms off...

What you put into your dog training wise is exactly what you will get out of it. If you start now, you could be done next week using tools correctly, or if your inconsistant it could take a year.

So Dweck is right, you cant put a dogs age to create a timeline of leash walking...

ds77755 is offline Member

Our experience (for what its worth ):

Lola is/was the same way (YL, female). She is 7 months now and we have been using the slip collar/choke chain for 2 months, per our puppy counselors at Leader Dog for the Blind. *Our counselors/trainers have also said this "excitement" is part of being a puppy and should subside - as long we continue with training/corrections. *At 7 months, Lola has improved, somewhat, especially with incorporating "LEAVE IT" (I think Dweck mentioned that ). We also attend 2 obedience classes a week w/plenty of distractions and exercise the bejesus out of her; It is tough to gauge based simply on other people's experiences; but, if nothing else, it eased my mind just hearing about 'em.

Good luck and keep working on it.
    Dominic &amp; Ellie<br /><br />

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have my dogs walking to heel on and off lead when they are pups. I teach it with a rope lead (gundog style, collar/lead in one) and LOTS of praise. Lead is positioned correctly up against the ears, both hands on the lead, dog reeled in at the side...we then walk with sharp about turns and figure 8's. I find they make a quick transition from walking formally on lead to formally off lead with the right guidance and encouragement.

There is NO need to teach a dog to heel with an e-collar. Shocking your dog is no way to train. Nice heeling, with the right work, can be achieved even with a regular collar and leash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast