Leash/Harness Biting

Thread: Leash/Harness Biting

DefaultLeash/Harness Biting

i've had Koda for a little over a month and he's 8 months old now. whenever i try to put his harness on he sometimes bites it and when i try to get him to stop he thinks im playing with him so he likes to keep it away from me. i have to walk away from him in order for him to put it down. i make him sit and buckle the harness and when i put the leash on he starts biting at the leash until i finally open the door to go outside. how do i get him to stop biting at the harness and leash?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Leash/Harness Biting

The only way I got my last dog to stop was to use a prong clollar and let him know it was not a game! After two weeks of that I put the normal collar back on and he was fine and never did it again.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Puff (YF, AKC, field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) did that a lot in her puppy months. Several nylon leashes were chewed nearly through as well as a Gentle Leader.

It declines in time.

Now, Puff often still prefers to hold the leash in her mouth from time to time (but she no longer chews). Maybe it feels better held in her mouth than pulling on her neck?

Whatever.

It's never been a big problem and the total cost of that chewing was maybe $45. Not too bad a price for puppyhood.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I used to spray bitter apple spray on Allie's gentle leader strap along with her leash...it helped a little bit but if she was left alone with the leash on for a few minutes...or not watched she chewed through a few of them. You could try and make him sit and reward with a treat and then go to put the harness on. Now everytime Allie sees the gentle leader she sits b/c she knows she is going to go for a walk.

Dama is currently going through that stage as well. we finally went out and bought a chain leash after having gone through 5 nylon leashes in 2 months. She doesn't chew on the chain, but I don't lke the way it feels. We will be switching back to the nylon after she completely stops attempting to chew the leash.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Teach LEAVE IT!

thanks for all of the suggestions. i forgot to mention that Koda only bites on the leash and harness until we begin our walk. once we get outside he stops biting at the leash.

My puppy is almost three months old and she does that too. The first few times i took her to the park she was not even two months so i let her follow behind me the whole time. This worked very well for teaching her to COME but when i tried to put her leash on she chewed at it and bit it non stop. And she even sat down when i tired to walk her.

So first I bought her a collar and made her wear it all the time but she still chewed it.
    So then i sprayed her collar and her leash with bitter apple.
    Now she wears her collar everywhere and she barely bites at her leash.
    And she is still improving.

[attachment deleted by admin]