Jumping up.

Thread: Jumping up.

DefaultJumping up.

Jumping up

Any advice for jumping up on people, I dont mind it much, but when hes dirty its a pain, or when company comes over its a pain

any suggestions?

hes 16 weeks old

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Jumping up.

-I've found that teaching the sit command helps a let. Teach sit and don't give any encouragement when he/she is jumping up. I also heard about bringing your knee up when they jump up on you helps a lot, your knee connects with their chest. When I got my rescue it only took two knees and he didn't jump any more and the knee was barely connecting with him so it wasn't hurting him in any way. Worked good for Lucky though she's been a bit slower learning with the knee, she responds much better when I just say 'sit' she 95% of the time sits immediately and doesn't jump. Hope that helps!!

Others will have better advice, probably; here's what we did. *We'd hold him by the collar, or onleash when someone came, sitting ('cause naturally they're excited for company). *If he'd start to jump, either OFF or NO JUMP (I used no jump). *Just keep repeating it every time. *As time went on, and he was getting better, I'd just tell people to ignore him when they came in...after a few minutes of wiggle butting, he was calm and they petted him. *He hardly ever tries to jump now, and if he does, it's no jump again. *Ask people, too, to use a calm voice when they come in. *My sister always started with a high, excited voice with him when she came into the house *:-\...that just got him more excited. *

I personally can't stand dogs that jump, and I knew ours was gonna be big...I sure didn't want my big dog jumping on anyone.

What he usually does now is try to get between people's legs; that's how he greets me when I come home....goes between my legs, I squat down (but no weight on him); he arches his back up into me, and I give him lots of butt scratches. *But it's pretty funny watchin' him trying to get between other people's legs to geet 'em. *

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bosco is almost 6 months...he has the jumping problem too, it's been a lot better, he only jumps when he's really excited. Everytime he jumps on me I bring my knee up and say "NO JUMPING" then I tell him to "SIT". When he listens I say "Good boy"...lol and might make him shake his paw too...lol So many commands!!!
    :P

The biggest problem we're having in this respect is with strangers.
    Only about five minutes ago I took Rocksy (4 months) out for a walk, and we came across this old lady. She was very sweet, but obviously her high voice and little kisses sent Rocksy into a "new person" frenzy. I kept getting her to sit before the lady could pet her, but each time the lady went to pet her Rocksy went nuts again, jumping up. I was holding back on her leash, and I could tell Rocksy was almost choking, but still she kept straining at the leash and jumping up!

She will never jump when she greets me, and we're slowly getting there with my wife, but strangers is a whole different kettle of fish as you can't instruct them how to act without sounding rude...

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksypup
    you can't instruct them how to act without sounding rude...
    No, but you can tell your dog what to do. I've said to strangers when Wesley was learning how to behave and couldn't/woudn't settle, "I'm sorry. I know you'd love to pet him, but he's acting kinda goofy today. He knows that to greet strangers he's got to be down and calm, but he seems to be having trouble with that today... Maybe some other day he can say hello to you."

And we'd go off in another direction. It's tough, especially when the pet-ees are little kids asking, but I wouldn't tolerate Wes acting like a nincompoop and risk him hurting an old lady or child. Better, I thought, to control the situation 100% and walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksypup
    you can't instruct them how to act without sounding rude...
    No, but you can tell your dog what to do. I've said to strangers when Wesley was learning how to behave and couldn't/woudn't settle, "I'm sorry. I know you'd love to pet him, but he's acting kinda goofy today. He knows that to greet strangers he's got to be down and calm, but he seems to be having trouble with that today... Maybe some other day he can say hello to you."

And we'd go off in another direction. It's tough, especially when the pet-ees are little kids asking, but I wouldn't tolerate Wes acting like a nincompoop and risk him hurting an old lady or child. Better, I thought, to control the situation 100% and walk away.
    Thanks for the advice Dweck. But one thought on that: if you keep walking away from strangers how do they ever learn to greet them properly? Or would you only let them be petted if they sit/lay down and behave? (which I can't see happening!!).

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Or would you only let them be petted if they sit/lay down and behave
    That.

Give the dog a chance to succeed. If he does, great! Praise like a house afire.

If not, he pays the consequence, which is no lovins from Ms Strangerwoman...

"Sorry, bud. You blew it!"

Tough Love, but it works.