First Puppy-K Class Tonight - Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Puppy-K Class Tonight - Update

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst Puppy-K Class Tonight - Update

Well, we have a 90 minute puppy-kindergarten class we are taking CoCo to this evening.* Her first class!

I talked to the trainer on the phone last night, she sounds very nice and* very straight-forward.... she tells it like it is, which is how I like my advice!* She said one Golden owner might not be back because she may have insulted him inadvertently... hehe.*

She also had a good saying "The only thing two trainers can agree on is what the third trainer is doing wrong" which I thought was funny and sometimes appropriate here!

Basically, the puppies play and the trainer goes over any questions we have about raising a puppy, plus some basic obedience.* Its a just-show-up class, so there is no set schedule for what's covered, which is why she goes for a 90min class over 60min as there are so many questions to answer.* She said there are 2 other labs who go frequently, and one is a male chocolate CoCo's age, so I hope he goes!

Anyhow, CoCo is on the older end of the spectrum for the puppy-K class, but she is starting a 9wk obedience class in 4 weeks and we're signed up for it.* Unfortunately, we may miss the last week due to our vacation plans, but hopefully we can either make it up or have someone else take her.

She uses positive reinforcement/clicker training, so I'm very excited about this!* Only 6-7 dogs per class as well.

At the very least we can see how well we like her at the puppy-k class tonight before we invest in the obedience classes.

Wish us luck!
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: First Puppy-K Class Tonight

Jo, We just had our first class of puppy kindergarten last night and I was about to post about it! lol I can't believe I was nervous about it but had no reason to be afterwards.
    ~Lindsay

Lindsay - post!* post!* post!* I would love to know how it went!
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I just did... it took a while. Trying to play my scrabble games... I think I have 6 or 7 going right now.
    ~Lindsay

I am sure that Coco will do great! How exciting, you will have to tell us all about it!

We're currently in a Puppy K class, and it's great! I hope you have as much fun with yours as we do!

pj

have a great time! can't wait to hear all about it!

Just got back from Puppy-Kindergarten! CoCo crawled right into her crate went to sleep... it was a big day today, as my husband took her for her first real SWIM today... so she's tuckered out.

So, when we arrived I immediately liked the trainer, she's very no nonsense yet approachable. Since this is an ongoing, drop-in class, most people there already new each other. There were 2 black labs, a golden retreiver, 2 little yorkies (1 saucy as all heck and 1 terrified), and a cocker spaniel that actually had to leave because of a leg injury. All the pups were around 13-17 weeks. CoCo was smaller then the other labs, 1 was a week older and 1 a week younger, but she kept up! This was also the first time she was able to play with puppies her own size/age and she had SOOO much fun!

So, after the puppies played off leash for a bit, the trainer had everyone leash their dogs and sit on the floor with the pups sitting between their legs. She then showed us some handling techniques to calm the dogs down and to show them we're dominant. Very cool. She talked a lot about puppy raising and behaviour... what's acceptable and what's not. Then after a bit we let the puppies play off leash again. After a while we sat down and leashed them again and she talked some more and answered more questions (they had discussed crate training last week, but that's okay since we already do this). Then it was another play time. In total the class was 90 minutes, and she only charges $10!

We are signed up for a 9 week begginer obedience class which starts in a month, and she trains right up through advanced. AND her prices are excellent! YAYYYYYY!!!
    ~Jo & CoCo

DefaultRe: First Puppy-K Class Tonight - Update

Oh, I forgot to mention the 2 little yorkie puppies...

One was pretty timid... the trainer put out one of those nylon tunnels for him to go into to feel safe, but eventually he came out and waddles around to the other puppies, who basically ingnore him... too cute!

The other was SUPER saucy... tried to hump every dog and growled a lot. CoCo and the golden retriever thought he was a great play mate... CoCo would just take her paw and swipe at him, all the while hopping and blay bowing like it was the best play mate... meanwhile the yorkie is acting likes he's in dire danger, growling and snapping... but he was too small to do any damage at least! I hope the socialization works for him!

Anyhow, it was soooo interesting seeing how the different puppies played... the yorkies liked to chase... while the retrievers were all over the place... paws, mouths, hip-butts, body rolls, etc... It was just too freakin' cute!
    ~Jo & CoCo

DefaultRe: First Puppy-K Class Tonight - Update

Great to hear about Puppy Kindergarden. Can you post some of the things the trainer taught you to calm CoCo. I think this is something that my wife can use when Petals starts to get to excited.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast