Whining

Thread: Whining

DefaultWhining

Just wondering when and why your puppy whines, and for those with older dogs, when it stops!

Rocksy whines a fair bit depending on the circumstances, and it got me thinking that I had never seen an adult dog whine before. She's four months old now, so still a baby, but do they ever grow out of it?
    And what is the difference between crying-whining and just complaining-whining?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Whining

Mine's 1 year now, and never whined before. He's quiet all-around, usually..doesn't even bark usually.

He started whining 2-3 months ago....it doesn't bother me, I laugh about it. He started with waking in the morning. He sleeps in bed with us, and jumps down, stands on MY side of the bed (of course), puts his head on the mattress by my face...and starts a low, slow whine, that gets louder if I don't get up right away. He wants to go out and to eat. If we tell him 'go to bed', he usually will lay back down and be quiet. Normally, though, I get up; it's about time to get up anyway.

Now, once in a great while hub will take care of him in the morning if I'm off work and wanna sleep in. But after going outside and eating....Tucker comes back to the bedside, and starts his whining for me.....he just wants me up with him!

During the day/evening, when he wants to go outside, he'll stand by the door and wait for us to let him out....once in awhile he'll whine a bit then. The only other time he whines is when the neighbor dog comes to play...that dog stands at the front door, waiting for Tucker, and Tucker will start whining, waiting to go see his buddy.

I don't know if the whining will stop as he gets older or not; but it doesn't really bother me.

My last Lab was 10.5 years old and whined till the last day. That was her way of communicating with us. If she wanted food, play, walk, or just attention she would whine. My puppy now whine's when we eat because she wants what we have. I tell her no begging and ignore her. If that is the worst she does then I don't care, but sometimes when we ignore her she progresses to barking.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, I think it's quite cute most of the time. Occasionally it's a bit frustrating because I can't for the life of me work out what she's whining about! Still, I guess babies are the same...

Allie whines and we ignore it. We usually tell her to "stop whining" or be quiet. Allie is probably the least vocal dog ive ever seen, she never barks but there is an occasional whine.

When she whines, it usually over going somewhere fun, like when we mention going for a ride or she is too much energy and is begging to play.

I think the whining will stop if we step playing into what she wants or paying attention. When she whines over playing, she has a good point, she deserves more of our attention and we try to provide that.