Constant peeing

Thread: Constant peeing

DefaultConstant peeing

Wrigley is 7 months old and sleeps through the night no problem. We are gone all day (like 11 hours) but we have a dog sitter come over and let her out a few times. When we get home at night she eats and plays etc. After we have been home a couple hours she starts asking to go out quite frequently. Like every half hour or so she wants to go out. She does pee every time and quite a bit not just a trickle. Is this normal??? Our little 10 pound dog hardly ever asks to go out?? Any ideas??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Constant peeing

Not sure... but if she's not having accidents in her crate during the day or night, I guess I wouldn't worry so much. Ender goes out all the time when we are home... but he's only 3.5 months old.
    ~Lindsay

I'd get her checked out by a vet. She could have a bladder infection or UTI.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She was just at the vet to be fixed. they ran all the labs and she is totally fine. I just thought the constant going out was weird.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I would guess it's because she has access to water when you're home and drinks more, hence, pee more! My Frankie does the same thing. He just turned 1.

She's not peeing in her crate, right?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Watch the water. Kimba did this until about 8 months old and it drove me crazy. he was just slow at maturing and then we had him kenneled when we went away and he came back and now it isw 4-5 hours unless he drinks a lot that he asks to go. Kimba had us trained and everytime he whined I thought it meant business when really it is just more exciting out in the yard.

Nope never pees in her crate or in the house. If she goes to the door and I have just let her out like a half hour ago, sometimes I call her away and distract her for awhile. Our general rule is if you can call her away from the door then she is just playing, if she is serious about going out she will not leave that door. She just keeps ringing the bell. (We have a bell tied to our door for asking to go out)

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

I wonder if a dog will learn that going to door = going outside = going potty... and therefore if the dog wants to go outside, it goes to the door, then goes to potty, and then is rewarded because she's outside where she wanted to be. Basically, the dog is conditioned that if she goes outside, she has to go potty.... so even if she just wants to be outside for the fun of it, she'll still potty when she gets out even if its not urgent.

Does that make sense? I'm in no way an animal psychologist, nor do I play one on tv!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCosMom
    I wonder if a dog will learn that going to door = going outside = going potty... and therefore if the dog wants to go outside, it goes to the door, then goes to potty, and then is rewarded because she's outside where she wanted to be. Basically, the dog is conditioned that if she goes outside, she has to go potty.... so even if she just wants to be outside for the fun of it, she'll still potty when she gets out even if its not urgent.

Does that make sense? I'm in no way an animal psychologist, nor do I play one on tv!
    I think this is sort of true Jo. Ender has made this transition and yesterday.. was whining to go out 5 minutes after I let him out after work... I knew he wanted to go for a walk. Once outside he "tried" to pee again and then immediately set off in the direction we usually go for our walks. I didn't have on my shoes yet so I had to DRAG him back in the whole time rushing to get all the "walking supplies" together and shoes on while he whined and sulked like we weren't going out. LOL
    ~Lindsay

Yes Jo and Lindsey they will whine to go out just to go out not because they really have to go. In this case though it sounds like she's just drinking and playing more when your home which = peeing more. If she's ok in her crate and not having accidents I would say it's fine. I think your fine by trying to call her away from the door as long as she dosn't have any accidents and will let you know by staying when she really has to go. I wouldn't worry about it if she's not making messes.