New puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New puppy

DefaultNew puppy

So I am finally getting a puppy dog this weekend. I found a litter of yellow labs that I am going to choose from an adoption agency. I am a student so I can't really afford a purebred, but these puppies look pretty good. Is there anything I should be concerned about since I am getting them from an adoption agency? I don't believe the mother is on site.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New puppy

Are you adopting through a rescue organization or a humane society? Usually these types of organizations provide a lot of discounted future maintenance care like puppy's first couple of shots and meds, as well as spay/neuter services.

Check out the "best advice" thread as it has a TON of very good information you'll find you'll want when you get your new pup.

Be sure to post pics!!! We LOVE pics of puppies... purebread or not... doesn't matter to us!
    ~Lindsay

That's great that you are going to adopt a pup in need of a home.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

it is through a rescue organization.

Good for you for Rescuing!!! I'm not sure you have anything extra to worry about with a rescue puppy. A puppy is a puppy is a puppy. ;D

congrats!
    ~Lindsay

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

congrats and all the best! you'll know your puppy will know a unique love and thats pretty cool!

Dani is offline Senior Member

There should be absolutely no problems with getting them from a rescue....if the rescue is good, you will get a healthy pup. Just like breeders, there are good rescues and bad. When my rescue has litters of pups, they go home after being wormed several times, and with 2 sets of vaccinations....plus they are collar conditioned, human socialized and dog and kid socialized.

It shouldn't matter that the mother isn't on site. The rescue may not have any information about the heritage or the mother. At any rate, love your pup and have fun.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I guess I'm going to disagree a bit. We warn people all the time about not buying from bybs and puppymills but push them to rescue....these are the same dogs. Parents have no health clearances, you know little about temperament, etc. Getting a pup from a rescue (or byb) is a crap shoot...you may save money up front, but you also may have to fork out a lot on other issues later on. If money is truly an issue for you, are you going to be able to afford the proper food, vetting and obedience classes required for any healty, well socialized dog? The initial cost is just the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    I guess I'm going to disagree a bit. We warn people all the time about not buying from bybs and puppymills but push them to rescue....these are the same dogs. Parents have no health clearances, you know little about temperament, etc. Getting a pup from a rescue (or byb) is a crap shoot...you may save money up front, but you also may have to fork out a lot on other issues later on. If money is truly an issue for you, are you going to be able to afford the proper food, vetting and obedience classes required for any healty, well socialized dog? The initial cost is just the beginning
    You are right absolutely. As a recent pup purchaser, I've spent $200 in vet bills so far in the first month and next week Ender gets another set of shots. I've spent even more on crate/toys/food/medicine and $90 for puppy kindergarten... and $20 per week for one day of doggy day care... the expenses add up FAST.
    ~Lindsay

A puppy is an expensive endeaver, whether you pay top dollar to a breeder or get one "free to a good home"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast