Brushing Teeth

Thread: Brushing Teeth

DefaultBrushing Teeth

Can anyone give me advice on how to brush my 11 month old's teeth? I do it now, but I feel like I get nothing done bc it is a struggle the entire time. And how often should I be brushing his teeth?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Brushing Teeth

Throw away the toothbrush and give him a marrow bone once a week My butcher calls them "dog bones" and they're labeled "soup bones" at my grocery store.

I've always brushed Layla's teeth (altough it's only been 4 weeks). I do it when she is very calm or sleepy and there is a lot of biting; but she loves the puppy toothpaste we have. I would just keep trying to get them use to brushing; if you have only started the process it's going to be tough for a while.

We brush Layla's once a week (usually the same time as nail clipping) I usually tell her it's spa time ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Well like Mom2Layla, I usually do this at night when she's tired. I sit on the floor and put Sami on her back between my legs with her head up near my chest. Then I start brushing. ;D She LOVES it though and gets very excited when she sees the toothbrush. According to my vet, you should brush their teeth every day. I don't always make it every day, but I never skip more than one day between brushings.

I agree w/ JacksAndLabs about the marrow bones -- they are great. But Sami is now on a very restrictive diet and marrow bones are out for the time being.

just keep doing it again and again and again they eventually get used to it I always exercise my Beau before I trim his nails or do his teeth...I do each of these once an week and the vet says his teeth are great...he is not able to do the whole bone thing because his stomach is super sensitive.good luck