Bringing the pup home!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing the pup home!

DefaultBringing the pup home!

So, it will still be some time before we bring Bali home (7.2 weeks and counting), but here is the deal.

We will be living in northern AZ over the summer instead of Tucson where we normally reside, and the breeder is in Tucson. I will be coming down to get Bali by myself in June, and will drive back up to Prescott with him the same day. This is about a 3 hour drive.

Has anyone ever done this before, and if so, how did your pup handle it? I am wondering what precautions I should take, since the pup will be with an unfamiliar person in a car for three hours.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bringing the pup home!

Bring a leash and collar. And make a lot of potty stops along the way. And hope your baby doesn't get carsick!

I know it's a long wait too... We found Miles 2 weeks before he was born. It'll be fine, just plan lots of stops on the way.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

i had a woman come up from fl to get her puppy and drive back. she had no problems. plan ahead and use common sense.

Laura

We're doing the same thing only we have an 8 hour drive. Is there a way to minimize the chance of carsickness?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Maybe make sure he/she hasn't JUST eaten. Ender took several 1.5 hr car rides and just settled down and slept most of the way (there was lots of hollering/barking the first 15 minutes).

Take it slow... and stop frequently... though I would stay away from actual rest areas... I doubt those places are very clean and poop-free and you don't want to expose your new puppy to that.

Also... not sure how big and active your pup will be but you might want to get a container for him... small crate or box depending on his size/strength especially if you are driving with him alone. Ender was manageable only 'cause Eric was driving and I was sitting with him in the back seat.
    ~Lindsay

Thanks Lindsay. Yep, we will have a crate and some toys. Perhaps I will walk him and play a little bit before the drive to try and wear him out too. With a pup at 8 weeks I should probably stop a couple of times, right? A toy in his crate could perhaps keep him occupied too. I am soooo excited!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

ha!... I just have the one experience to go by and Ender was a bit older. I have no idea how often you should stop... but probably the minute he wakes up from napping, I'd be pulling over.

The chant I have going in my head is "if he wakes up, he needs to pee, if he drinks something, he needs to pee, if he ate something, he needs to pee, if he stopped playing, he needs to pee, if he sniffs the floor, he needs to pee... and if he hasn't peed in 15 minutes... take him out anyway!"
    ~Lindsay

Yeah, that's a good point! I am sure I will be chanting the same thing with Bali. I remember when we adopted Jaida I did exactly that, but we were lucky because she was already housebroken (she is a rescue dog). But I was still pretty paranoid, and would positively reinforce when she did her business, and would feed her at the same time every day followed by immediate trips to the bathroom. She didn't need it, but I am sure it probably still did some good to get her into a routine.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will keep everyone updated on my countdown!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I'm jealous....'cause I wish I was counting down as well! Anyway I hope your trip goes well and sounds like good advice. I will probably have to do something similar because there are 2 breeders I am considering..one about 3.5 hours away the other about 1.5 hours away. I had also heard that the regular rest stops would be bad places to stop for a potty break for your pup. I think when I do the trek I will just pull of at an exit and find a place. I found some bags you can use to pick up the poop with so it can be tossed in the trash as well. You might want to have a supply of those in cse your pup goes in the lawn of like a Togermart or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast