Toy questions???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy questions???

DefaultToy questions???

I'm going shopping at Petsmart for our little girl soon. She will be coming home at 8 or 9 weeks. I was wondering if you can tell me what toys are a hit with your dogs,or when they were puppies? I'm going to get a Kong for sure. Do I need to get the puppy version? Also with the Nylabones, should I get the puppy pack of those or a different kind? As far as stuffed animals are conerned, are lab puppies able to rip them apart? I told you I would have questions.hehe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Toy questions???

Kongs.. Ender has FOUR large puppy kongs that we freeze and rotate... definitely get more than one! Some people on the forum have had puppies that were able to destroy theirs (puppy version) but Ender hasn't taken a chunk out yet.

Nylabones... the puppy version is I think too breakable for labs. We went with the next step up and got the three pack for "medium chewers"

Stuffed toys... ender LOVES his stuffed toys and has only destroyed one. Most of the time he just sort of gnaws on them instead of ripping so they get quite wet (EWW!!)... but i do watch those and make sure he isn't getting any stuffing out of them.

Balls... Ender has a couple of those fuzzy neon yelllow tennisy things and I don't like them 'cause he gets the fuzzy stuff off and then I find yellow stuff everywhere and I'm afraid he will ingest that stuff.

He has a "tire on a rope" toy that is really holding up well. Again, only supervised play with that 'cause of the strings but he likes it and it shows nearly no wear at all.

For a retrieving toy... we have these two foam thingys we got from armadillofoam.com that work great (don't sink in Lake Michigan) and he loves them (unlike tennis balls which he'd lose interest in for a leaf). You can't let them chew on it though, it's strictly a retrieving toy.

Lastly... I also got him a dental kong which I sometimes put kibble in to slow down his meals (he has to roll it around to get the stuff out) and it gives him yet another texture/surface to chew on.
    ~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I think Lindsay covered it well ...

You really aren't going to know about the stuffed animals until you see how yours does with them.* Just make sure that you supervise.* Sami LOVES stuffed animals, carries them everywhere, and has never shredded one.* She has "loved on" her hedgehog so much that he's started to come apart.* Just yesterday I found her destuffing him piece by piece through the hole in the seam.* And although she doesn't intentionally rip them, I still don't leave her alone w/ them (she's only 9 months).*

I agree that you need more than one kong.* We have 5 and keep them frozen in a tub in our freezer.*

Get plenty of nylabones (not the edible ones) and hard rubber toys as your puppy will be teething around 4 to 5 months of age.*

Oh, and just one tip -- don't feel like you need to give all the toys at once.* Sami recognizes when she has a new toy and she'll spend 2 or 3 days very excited about having something new and playing only with her new toy.* So hold some back -- it's really fun to watch*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    Oh, and just one tip -- don't feel like you need to give all the toys at once. Sami recognizes when she has a new toy and she'll spend 2 or 3 days very excited about having something new and playing only with her new toy. So hold some back -- it's really fun to watch
    Oooh... I forgot about that... it's so easy for me to give in and watch him play with every single toy I've bought for him... I've gotta learn to just have a few out at a time... and you are right... a new toy he will play with for days then pretty much ignore.

Oh... I also don't recommend the Budda Fresh N Brites 'cause they come apart way too easily and the little "bumps" ended up ALL over my carpets within 30 minutes of Ender having the toy.
    ~Lindsay

Rocky loves to chew on rawhide chips. They're about 4"x4" and are quite durable. It occupies him for at least 20 minutes until he crashes.

Allie likes Bar bell toys the best.
    She loves pig ears and rawhides and she loves her orange dummy.

http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/ima...8755_1375d.jpg
    http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/ima...9426_13907.jpg

Before we bought Layla home I bought TONS of toys; so many she doesn't even play with most of them.

She loves squeeky toys, she has a mouse she just LOVES (I never leave her alone with them though).

The kong she didn't get into until she was 10 weeks (so just a few days ago) she never really even cared before that there was anything in it. Now we only bring it out for special occations.

She LOVES pink tennis balls; I think she can see those better than the yellow.

One of her favorite toys was a plastic squeeky thing with rope on either end; she loves to drag that around and play with it.

I hope this helps; good luck...you will find toys she loves and won't want to play with.

That's interesting that Layla likes pink better than yellow. I wouldn't have thought color mattered to a dog. Well that's it for my new thing learned today. LOL

Thanks again all!!

This maybe more of a dog in general toy but while we have been caring for buddy the jack russell he really likes this thing called a busy buddy... its kinda like the kong thing but its like a disk that unscrews and you can put peanut butter or whatever in the middle screw it back together and freeze it... that would keep the dog occupied for a LONG time.. it was good for when we had to crate him while we left to do errands during the day or whatever.

Ours is a power chewer; has been since forever. He hasn't destroyed anything in the house, but loves to chew. I started with cheap little rubber balls and toys (dumbells and such) when he was small, and added more things as he grew. One of his favorite balls is just a cheap rubber ball with textured nubs sticking out of it...he's had that since he was a little puppy; it has lasted this long.

Here are a few ideas as your puppy grows....Migrator birds. Tucker went nuts over these; he's had 3 or 4. He loves the 'squonk' sound they make. He'd squonk all over the house with his birds....until about 10 mos., when he started ripping 'em apart; no more Migrators now. :-\ Wiggly giggly ball..these are fun; they bounce different directions and the dog makes the sound activate as they play with 'em. He'd stare at it, give it the back-and-forth head tilt, and roll it some more! Tennis balls...lab staple. Flying Squirrel (blue/orange canvas); they're like throwing a frisbee, and really sail out there. Orbee balls...these are terrific...they last and last! Cuz....these make a great (but loud) shrill sound....he'll grab his Cuz, chew on it...and make a low roe-er, roe-er noise while chewin' that thing (only with that one ;D) These are great to throw for retrieves, too! If I'm talkin' to him in that high pitched voice (you're such a gooood boy...he squeezes and chews his Cuz faster and faster, makin' more noise to my voice..too funny). I recommend Cuz highly! His Cuz is still like new..and it gets a workout. Holee Roller....he has the biggest one now. They can chew on these, shake 'em, roll 'em around...and you can throw 'em too (but the big ones don't go far). Holee's are made of a rugged material with large holes...for extra fun, put a small ball or bone inside and your dog will be occupied for quite a while! The biggest hit around here now, though, is his Jolly Ball. It's a hard plastic (durable), with holes on the surface, with a smaller ball inside. When we're playing and I tell him to go get his ball, he'll pass up his tennis and other balls, and head straight for his Jolly Ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast