Reaction to Cats
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reaction to Cats

DefaultReaction to Cats

I'm just curious as to how your dogs react with cats.* Especially those of you who don't have cats at home.* Dee is the first dog that I have had where I didn't have a couple of cats of my own in the house beforehand.* My last Lab absolutely adored cats.....any and all.* She was a very calm dog.

I'm trying to teach Dee to be calm around cats and she's getting better, but she just gets so darn excited.* The cats in our neighborhood don't run when they see a dog.* In fact my next door neighbors cat will come right out and roll on the sidewalk in front of Dee.* He's not a friendly cat and it almost seems like he's taunting her.* If she wasn't on her leash she would chase, but I doubt he'd run.* * I'm trying to get her used to them, but when you don't have your own it's hard.......and then again I would imagine that some dogs are okay with the family cats, but will chase a strange cat.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Reaction to Cats

wish I could help you and would like to know myself. I have a black cat (outdoor) so I;m not sure how I will go about that.

Layla right now ignores them; I don't think she knows yet about the cat and dog relationship ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Great topic....We have 2 cats (Older female, and a middle aged male). My male cat loved my last dog, ZuZu. As a matter of fact, he started to act out when we lost ZuZu. When we brought Petals home it has been a little different story. First Petals met the female cat and my cat bopped her once and now she is very cautious of her. Now my male cat has his times. He has actually attacked Petals. This afternoon when I went home for lunch I caught him stalking Petals and had to call him off. If he doesn't quit it Petals will be so big he will regret it. I am not real worried at this point yet.

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

We got the dog and cat at the same time 2 years ago. They get along well. Raven realizes she needs to play calmly around the cat. They even play bitey face!!! They are usually best friends, even sleep together in the dog bed.

However, I think if Raven were around another cat, she would chase it...And I know from experience that if we try to bring another dog in the house the cat flips out!

Also, if Raven gets to rambuncious or barks too loud, the cat thinks it is his job to discipline her. He "screams" and tries to scratch her. Raven immediately stops and tries to apologize to the cat (which sometimes isn't the best idea). But other than that, they really do love each other.

I just learned Jaida's response to cats this past weekend. We were over at a friend's home who has a cat and we had her inside and she was calm and fine until that cat appeared. All of a sudden Jaida became devil dog and took off after that cat like she was hunting her dinner.

She chased it under a bed in the bedroom, and tried to burrow under the bed to get it, so it got scared and went running out, and of course Jaida followed. That was about the time I finally caught up to her and intervened. Poor cat! Needless to say, she doesn't like them. :

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

We don't have cats but our neighbors have a cat who is allowed outside. Abby (my 4 yr old yellow) would rather chase the cat and then lay down and let the cat lay on top of her.

Molly (my 4 1/2 month old black) wants to play with him. The neighbors got a kitten recently and they've been bringing him outside and he and Molly have the best time playing!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Allie comes across cats often in our neighborhood. Last night we went out front and a cat was under my truck. Allie was scared to even approach the truck. Luckly this cat was calm and allowed me to approach the truck without fleeing. Allie was VERY hesitant, and I coached her into getting about 4-5 feet away. I wonder if she was pounced on by a cat and it scared her, because she LOVES chasing rabbits!

When Dee was about 5 months old one of the neighbors cats was hiding behind something and when she went over to investigate it gave her a swat.* (I didn't even realize the cat was there)* Anyway she certainly isn't afraid of cats and her first inclination seems to be to give chase.* I'm trying to desensitize her by being around them us much as possible and she definitely doesn't get as excited now.* However if she was loose she'd likely race over to them.* As I don't have a cat myself I will stop and talk to the neighbors who do have cats.* There cats are usually out in the garden with them and strangely don't seem to have ANY fear of the dog.* None of these neighbors have dogs, so it surprises me that the cats are so bold.* *

We have 3 indoor cats one male is still young and the two females are older. The females just ignore Abby and take over her space when they get the chance. The male is more sure of himself and teases her when she walks by. From the very beginning I have taught Abby "NO CAT" and this seems to work pretty well. However, every now and then she likes to chase them around and nip at their legs! LOL.

"Ooh! a nice new bed for kitty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast