Black Labs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Labs

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultBlack Labs

Ok I guess I am full of questions today.. ??? ???

I am hoping to get a black Lab and I know you have to be careful in summer because the black coat retains heat. Places Iw ill go with him have plenty of shady spots, water, etc and I will always carry water for my Lab so he/she doesnt dehydrate.

Summer is pretty hot here in Memphis for alot of folks but there are few days to me that it is unbearably hot. But that might not be the case for a black Lab. ALso I would take him/her for a walk/swim later in the day when it is a bit cooler...How should I approach this? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Black Labs

Ok... I know Ender is yellow but I'll respond anyway :P

I bought this thing for our walks/play/fetch sessions.
    http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/produc...HTOTravelBowls

This way he can get plenty of water and that will help him keep cool. I have seen those "cool wraps" you can get for your dog that keeps them cool as well.
    ~Lindsay

Thanks! I also bookmarked that page..looks like I might need that b4 the summer's over..

I have a camelback I use when hiking or biking so this would be great and would be just for the labby.. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We live in Florida and our puppy, Adama, is a black lab. It's already getting into the high 80's by early morning here, and I have been pushing our morning walk back earlier and earlier. I've found that it is just too hot for Dama by about 9am, so any outside play we do is either very early or after 6pm. We carry lots of water and I have even asked strangers who were watering their lawns to squirt her off as we walk by their houses. We also bought a kiddie pool today for her to lounge in on our back porch.

We keep Bailey in the shade and take him out early am. Then he lounges around the rest of the day. Baby pools rule. In fact, I was at Baby's R Us yesterday shopping for a shower gift for my neice and ended up buying Miles a plastic baby pool for our back porch! :

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Baby pools are great, and I'll bet you'll find that your baby will love the sprinkler or just being "hosed". Mine does ;D

I will make sure I purchase one. DO you see anything wrong with taking Labby for a walk in the park where there is a lake? There's also lots of trees to rest every little bit. I just want to make sure I don't do anything that would hurt him/her

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Tales
    We live in Florida and our puppy, Adama, is a black lab. It's already getting into the high 80's by early morning here, and I have been pushing our morning walk back earlier and earlier. I've found that it is just too hot for Dama by about 9am, so any outside play we do is either very early or after 6pm. We carry lots of water and I have even asked strangers who were watering their lawns to squirt her off as we walk by their houses. We also bought a kiddie pool today for her to lounge in on our back porch.
    It's not quite that bad here yet but last week it did get into the 90s a few days.

labradork mom is offline Member

I have a black lab that is 106 lbs and I live in Florida. Please be very careful in the sun and heat they can get overheated very quickly.I only walk her if it is cool in the evening. I do let her swim in the pool if she wants to. Her favorite place is the air conditioned house.

Quote Originally Posted by labradork mom
    I have a black lab that is 106 lbs and I live in Florida. Please be very careful in the sun and heat they can get overheated very quickly.I only walk her if it is cool in the evening. I do let her swim in the pool if she wants to. Her favorite place is the air conditioned house.
    Thanks...overheating is something I want to avoid at all costs. I would take them to the park and such either early morning or later in the afternooon...say about 6 when it gets cooler and the sun isn't direct. I imagine the airconditioned house will be a favorite of mine as well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast