Puppy Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy Food

DefaultPuppy Food

Lucky does not like puppy food!!* She never has, she always wants adult food.* I have finally gotten her to eat puppy food if it's mixed with adult food and even then she sometimes eats around it!* It makes her poo pretty soft and runny too.* I've been giving some to Happy to help him gain some weight, he's slimmed down a bit this year and I've noticed if they both eat the puppy food mixed it helps with their coats all nice and shiny.* I know the puppy food is better for Lucky she's growing like crazy and I'm willing to bet she's going for 80lbs+ She's only 7 months now and almost as big as Happy already and her paws are still massive compared to her!!* Should I keep going with the puppy food even though it makes her kind of runny?* I want her to get her nutrients but I don't want her to get sick either!!!* ** What should I do?* Happy will eat anything!!* I know the puppy food won't hurt him, the vet told me that it would just make him gain some weight.* He's about three now...* Also how much exercise should Lucky be getting?* Happy's a couch potato!!* He'll fetch about four times max and then he's ready to go grab something to chew on, whereas Lucky will fetch for hours and run with us as long as we're willing to play, but I don't want to put undue pressure on her joints either.* *:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy Food

What does the vet say? I remember learning that they don't really need to be on puppy food for a full year and have even heard they don't really recommend it for large breed dogs as it encourages too much weight. I would say that as long as she is healthy on adult dog food let her have the adult dog food but get your vet's blessing.

She's very healthy on the adult food, her coat just doesn't have that shiny gleam and seems kind of dull unless she's eating her dog food, but won't eggs help with that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I dont know about the eggs but everything I have read is consistent wioth what Miles mom said. Labs should be fed adult dog food to prevent undesirable weight gain. I am planning on feeding mine adult food when I get him/her. I bet the shiny coat will come...

For dogs which gain weight too fast it is recommended to switch from puppy food to adult food at around the 14th week or so. However consult not only the vet but also the breeder and find outthe parents,their siblings and yur dogs littermates growing charecteristics..In my case pluto has a family history of moderate to high growth initially however at 12 weeks he is perfect interms of weight for his age and isnt growing too rapid so i'll continue with his puppy food until I myself or my vet see a reson to switch .

A sardine once per week will add shine to your dog's coat. Only problem with that is, what to do with the rest of the can of sardines? ???

You can also give your dog a fish oil capsule once a day. That helps to make a healthier coat, and can be bought at Wal-Mart or just about anywhere with a pharmacy.

And your garbage can will smell better too!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMom
    And your garbage can will smell better too!
    This cracked me up!

Quote Originally Posted by pluto
    For dogs which gain weight too fast it is recommended to switch from puppy food to adult food at around the 14th week or so. However consult not only the vet but also the breeder and find outthe parents,their siblings and yur dogs littermates growing charecteristics..In my case pluto has a family history of moderate to high growth initially however at 12 weeks he is perfect interms of weight for his age and isnt growing too rapid so i'll continue with his puppy food until I myself or my vet see a reson to switch .
    Can you tell me what Pluto weighs at 12 weeks. Tasman is 12 weeks and I would like to compare.
    He is 8.6 kg or almost 19lbs.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast