Bathing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bathing

DefaultBathing

How often should you bathe a lab? I have heard not too, but I will have to eventually b/c she smells(it's not awful but it's a smell).

How often you bathe your pups?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bathing

I have never done it and Tasman is now 12 weeks old. That said yes he smells to so I was actually off to the Petstore today to buy some shampoo. What do you use anyway?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

You shouldn't bathe your lab any more than necessary.* Some people go years and never bathe their lab.* ;D* If they aren't really dirty, but just sort of smelly, you could try the Listerine Fast Bath.* I've been using it on Sami since she was a puppy.* I don't have to do it often, but it really works.* Here's the "recipe":* Take a squirt bottle and mix a 50/50 ratio of water and Listerine (the citrus kind that is orange smells good).* Give your pup a good brushing and then just give him a few squirts and rub him down.* I've found that the main smelly area is the feet, so you can even squirt once on each paw.* You can keep the rest of the fast bath in the bottle and just use it when needed.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Both of your pups are GORGEOUS!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you

That's a great tip about the squirt bottle, my husband is SO adamant to bathe her..he says it's the only way to really clean her paws.

Is there a HUGE problem if she is bathed?

Great advise! I am off shopping for Listerine here in New Zealand. (that is the stuff you normally use for your teeth right? ??? )

Thanks again!

I don't know, they say you should only bathe a dog once a year or something like that but Bailey gets bathed much more often than that and he's fine. He starts to smell and our daughter is taking him to petsmart for a bath. She calls it doggie day spa. It hasn't hurt him and his coat is nice and shiny.

That said, I will keep a squirt bottle of listerine and water around the house for 'maintenance'. My breeder said I could give Miles a bath when I take him home if I want.

I was in to see the vet a few weeks ago for shots, I asked and he said as a puppy it really doesn't matter, its up to us. Coco has had a few baths with a mild shampoo and she loves them. She loves to play in the towels after her bath and toss them around. He coat is still shiny and she smells good most of the time. BTW, That Listerine and water spritz sounds awesome I'm going to try that,

Newlabmom

labby is offline Senior Member

you should rarely if ever bathe a lab. it dries out their coat and can ruin the skin. the smell is the oil in their coat. a good brushing twice a week is enough to keep the dog clean.

Laura

Well I have to bath Petals right now twice to three times a week with a medicated shampoo for her Staph infection. She doesn't have anymore bumps but she still scratches...I am wondering if the scratching is because her skin is dry from the shampoo. I am taking Petals in this week for more of her shots and I will ask the Vet then.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

In six years of life, I'm thinking Wesley's MAYBE been bathed twice. And that's when he's rolled in something incredibly horrid and smelly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast