How soon can a puppy go running?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How soon can a puppy go running?

DefaultHow soon can a puppy go running?

So, Bali isn't even home yet, but I am curious...at what age can a puppy join me, hubby, and Jaida for our runs? I take Jaida trail running on a 4.5 mile run 4X per week, and hubby joins us once and awhile. I know that is probably far too much for a puppy, but I would like to start running with Bali ASAP on shorter runs. Any feedback?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How soon can a puppy go running?

2 yrs old... sorry
    ~Lindsay

labby is offline Senior Member

yep have to agree with the 2 year rule. oh sure you can do it sooner, but you'll be damaging the dog's joints.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback...bummer, but I certainly wouldn't want to do anything to hurt my Bali! I suppose it will be a great way to spend some alone time with Jaida.

Does this include letting puppies run around a field?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

No... leashed running is VERY different from free running. Leashed running requires the pup to keep a certain pace, he/she can't slow down when she wants... not to mention it's usually on a harder surface causing more impact to the joints.

Running around in a field is fine 'cause your pup can stop, slow down... whatever.
    ~Lindsay

labby is offline Senior Member

what lindsey said as long as you pay attention to the pup. when it starts to slow down make it stop.

Laura

We run with our 'grand-dog' Bailey and we started him pretty young but it was a long time before he built up to 4 1/2 miles. We started with 5 minutes and went from there. There was a long time we'd start with him, loop back and drop him back home and we'd finish. I really don't remember how old he was before he could accompany us on our full 4-6 mile runs. We watched him pretty closely. It was well before 2 years. But, he's not an English lab. He's American. (I can't even find info on the web about American vs English labs anymore) His body is more like a dalmation or weimereiner so he's lighter.

I did find this on labs but the English have gained popularity to the degree that you really can't find American labs anymore.

There are two types of Labradors, the English Labrador and the American Labrador. The English bred lab comes from English bred stock. Their general appearance is different. The English bred labs are heavier, thicker and blockier. The American bred Lab comes from American bred stock and is tall and lanky.

Our Bailey is American and some people comment that he doesn't look like a labrador.* *Back to the subject, his lighter build may have made him better suited to running younger.*

Trickster is offline Senior Member

MilesMom, the correct terms are show/ bench and field, not English/American. An English Lab is one born in England and an American Lab is one born in America. English Labs can be show or field as can American Labs.

his lighter build may have made him better suited to running younger.
    You shouldn't run with a dog until it is 2 years old regardless of whether it is a field or show bred. Joint issues still apply for both 'types'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast