Halti Versus Martingale - Interesting Observation

Thread: Halti Versus Martingale - Interesting Observation

DefaultHalti Versus Martingale - Interesting Observation

For quite awhile now we've been using a Halti or sometimes a Gentle Leader.* Dee is actually quite good on any collar UNTIL something interesting comes along that she wants to see....usually another dog.* :* Anyway for classes we've been using the Halti because she is much better behaved with IT on than she is with the martingale......too many dogs she wants to visit in class.* For some reason the other night the instructor asked me to change her over to the martingale.* Normally when I remove her halti she immediately realizes I have less control and takes advantage of the fact.* Well just because it was easier I left the halti on this time even though I had her leash clipped to the martingale only.* To my surprise she responded just as though the halti was still in use.* It was quite funny because she obviously associated the better behavior JUST with the fact the halti was still on even though I wasn't using it.* The trainer said that this is how they do the transition off the halti, but I'm not sure how well this works as I know the minute I take the halti "right" off her head she'll be back to pulling.* ???* I guess maybe over time this will work.* Is this how most of you who have used halti's and gentle leaders switch over to a flat collar?*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Halti Versus Martingale - Interesting Observation

Guess I was the ONLY one who found this interesting.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I found it interesting... I just didn't read it right away lol.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I just bought a Halti. My girls didn't seem to enjoy it They really fought me - they sure didn't want it on. I'm going to keep working with them.

HunterLily - I don't think many of them like the Halti and Gentle Leader type head gear. It took a long time for my pup to get used to it and she still occasionally tries to rub it off on the grass or my leg or whatever is handy. : It really HAS been extremely helpful though because she is strong and I'm not particularly, plus I didn't want to be pulling on her throat. I'm hoping as she matures and with training I won't need to continue to use the halti at some point in time, but for now it's a great help. I found it interesting that she continued to behave (not pull) with the martingale just because she still had the halti on. She may clue in next time I try it, but I hope not because this may be the way to eventually transition to the martingale or flat collar.

Sounds like she's learning.