Scared of Water

Thread: Scared of Water

DefaultScared of Water

My rescue labrador (Happy) isn't persay scared of water more scared of swimming.* This is about as deep as I can get him.* I've gotten him to swim from the middle to the side where he can touch twice but that's with me in the deep end (after Lucky the black one has already tugged me in!!! and she's only 7 months!!)* He won't stay out there though he just becomes almost frantic like, I don't know if he just had never been swimming before I got him or if it was part of his abuse!! I had to have his tail amputated shortly after I got him.* *This is the second summer we've been working on this is there anything else I should be doing?* I know he likes the water he's just scared of swimming I think.* He's not as high energy as other labs certainly no where near the energy of Lucky I didn't know if that was an area of concern or not.* Any input would be appreciated!!*

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Scared of Water

My last baby was also like that too. It took me a couple of time of carrying her out and letting her swim back before she became the water dog everyone knows. What we also did was take her natural fetching ability and would throw the ball or whatever deeper and deeper until she didn't think twice about jumping in and having a good time.

Jaida used to be like that, so we taught her how to swim in my in laws pool over the summer after we rescued her. She was sooooo afraid at first, but after doing it a few time to fetch her ball with me swimming by her side spotting her, she became more comfortable. Now, when we visit my in laws, she doesn't even use the steps to go into the pool anymore, and she will toss her ball in on her own so that she can fetch it! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've tried tossing things into the water and giving him encouragement to go get it, but he just walks up and down the sides trying to find a way to get it without going where he can't touch. I'll hold his tummy for him when we're both out there and even toss the toy then but he just immediately heads for shore. I'm thinking I might need to leave Lucky at home and head to the creek with just Happy on and off this summer. Lucky won't be to happy about it, but she'll bound in the water and tug me in herself if I'm trying to restrain her!!

Our Bailey doesn't particularly like to swim. He'll go in the water if he's hot, otherwise, he prefers dry land. We keep telling him he's supposed to be a water dog but he doesn't believe us.