Leash Eater

Thread: Leash Eater

DefaultLeash Eater

We have had Dama since the end of February and since this morning, she has destroyed 5 nylon leashes! I finally broke down and bought a chain leash today, but it's heavy and I feel like people will see a chain and think she's an agressive dog. Does anyone else use a chain leash? Or does anyone else have this problem, and if so, what did you do about it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Leash Eater

How about teaching her not to chew on the leash? LEAVE IT command is useful for this. Ender destroyed his first nylon leash... went to leather and taught him to Leave IT and we're good to go. Leather not only looks nice but is softer on your hands and lasts a really long time.
    ~Lindsay

We just started working on Leave It in Puppy Kindergarde... it works for treats on the floor and when we have food on the couch... but for some reason she ignores the command when it comes to her leash. I think she chews it peridodically while we are walking, and I try to take it from her but her teeth are so sharp they seem to slice right through them.
    My brother has a leather leash for his dog and the last time we went to the park together, Dama latched onto his leash...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ummmm yeah!! right here, we have that problem.....so in order to curb that problem Cadbury is NEVER left alone with her leash.........or Henry's for that matter. And we use the leave it command if she decides to go at it while attached to the leash. What is it about nylon!?!?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Nylon frays really easily... leather won't. What I did to teach Ender not to grab onto the leash when walking was to gentle jerk the leash upwards and say "no bite"... if he didn't let go I opened his mouth and took it out... over and over until he got it. I never allowed him to "carry" it in his mouth for more than a few seconds.
    ~Lindsay

What about spraying something yakkie onto the leash, bitter apple or a vinegar solution while you are working on the LEAVE IT cue?

We have the same problem with Layla too; she always chews on her leash. What's worse is before we brought her home, I was going crazy buying her everything pink I could find. I found a playboy bunny leash that I thought was SO adorable (it cost $40 too!!) and that's the one she likes to chew the most

I am going to try the bad tasting stuff and see if that works...knowing her and food she will love the taste.

I agree with ender's mom I would try a leather one and see if that works.

Cadbury LOVES bitter apple *sigh*, didn't try the vinegar one though..