grose habbit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grose habbit

Defaultgrose habbit

Ok so my puppy of about 10 weeks has just descovered that she could eat cat poop. Its totally disgusting and she ignores me when i call her when she is doing it. I tell her NO and she looks at me for a second and then keeps doin it. I pick her up and move her to another spot but then she does it again next time we go outside.

I dont understand why she does it because we feed her 3 times a day and she is a little piggy too. And she usually comes when I call her. Do all labs do this at some point? Any advice?

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: grose habbit

From what I hear that once they start it's impossible to cure. I would put the kitty litter box somewhere your dog can't get to it but the kitties can.
    ~Lindsay

Im smiling a bit because we went through this with our dachshound. She loved her cat poop and would get some at every available chance. My vet said it was a puppy thing and that to them its a big treat. We kept her away from it as much as possible(moved the box) corrected and redirected, but eventually her taste buds changed and she grew out of it. I'I'msure yours will as well, for now get her a lot of mint flavored bones..lol...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yellowlab21

I dont understand why she does it because we feed her 3 times a day and she is a little piggy too.
    Uhhh, she's a lab ... they never get enough to eat. And little cat poo apparently hits the spot! ;D Keep the litter box where she can't get it ... then she'll move on to deer or goose poo ;D

I had heard that this could happen, so I bought one of those covered cat boxes. Boone hasn't even tried to get in it. He has sniffed around it, but then just moves on.

Yes, our Bailey used to love rocks and sticks and I got pretty good at fishing those out of his mouth. One day he came trotting up proudly crunching, my hand was immediately in his mouth and it was dried up cat poop! YUK!!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

She does it because Kitty Tootsie Rolls (tm) are GOOD if you're a dog. Most dogs love 'em. Remember, your sweet little companion has been programmed by thousands of years of evolution to be a scavenger, and if you weren't feeding her she'd be happily eating dead squirrel from the side of the road. The best you can do is manage it; many people have good luck with the litter boxes with domed lids. Also practice "Leave It," of course, but that will only get her to stop doing it when you catch her in the act.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I hope I dont ever have that problem with mine..

Theo is beautiful.

labradork mom is offline Member

I have one of my labs that likes to do that. You need to move the cat box so the dog can not get into it. You need to be careful if you use clumping kitty litter. It has been know to cause death in some dogs do to the fact it expands in them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast