Walking...

Thread: Walking...

DefaultWalking...

I've been starting to train Bosco to walk on a leash. (Usually i just bring him to dog run, where he can be free) but i want him to walk on a leash too. Any suggestions on training him? (he pulls all the time)
    :s

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Walking...

Im sure that someone will chime in with better advice, but what I do with Bear when he starts to pull is make him "place" (I think I made it up, not sure if its a good word or not ;D ). I make him come to me and sit at my left side and wait until I say ok, then I say "no pull". The minute he starts to pull I repeat "NO pull" if he does it again, I make him "place". He has caught on real quick, I can pull the "no pull" off lead and him stops.

When we walk Josie and she start's to pull we stop and "become a tree" ;D. She will stop pulling and come back to us. Now she won't come back to us she just sit's down. Without even telling her to sit. When she walks back to us she get's alot of praise. When she sit's without us telling her to it's praise and a treat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

When he pulls you can try coming to a dead stop. *When he looks at you or gives you slack, start going again until he starts pulling. *Expect to do this 1000 times - or maybe it's 10,000. *;D *You might also want to try turning and going in the opposite direction. *This teaches them to pay attention to you.

Another idea is either a Halti or a Gentle Leader. *Both will physically keep him from pulling.

I taught Sami using the method at the top and have never walked her on anything other than a flat collar. *Then again, she's 55 lbs. so I can still control her. * ;D *She walks very nicely on a leash now and will also heel when told to. *So it does work -- it just takes a whole heck of a lot of patience.

Thanks for helping!

When i'm walking Bosco, I use the commands "NO" and "Heel", I think i'm also going to try the "dead stop" idea. I like that. I want him to listen to my commands and to pay attention to what i'm doing. Thank guys!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Don't use NO in a general terms. Say...NO PULL and then Heel. Saying NO isn't telling him what you are correcting him for...I'm wondering why you are just starting the leash training at 5 months old. He should have had a leash on him since the day your brought him home.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

The coming to a dead stop and becoming a tree ;D is what we did. When Bailey realized we weren't moving anymore, she would turn around and come back to me. Before we even started that I was calling her to my side and giving her a tiny treat. I'd hold the treat down at my side and that's where she'd automatically go to get it. Now when she comes back she comes back to that side and we start off again. I can say heel now, and wherever she is, she'll come stand at my side.

The turning around is great too, because as was earlier stated, it makes them pay attention to what you're doing.

We have a large fenced area and weren't all that motivated to leash train. We kind of started a little late too. Your pup will get it, just keep on as someone said a 1000 to 10,000 times it may take : but it'll happen.

Lovin Hershey Guest

We always took a few treats with us and when Hershey would walk right next to us, we would give him a treat. Now that he is older, he trots a little bit in front of me, but returns to my side for a treat. I know they are supposed to stay right at your side, but Hershey likes to lead and as long as he isn't pulling, I don't mind.

I do bring treats with me when we go for a walk. I usually bring him to the dog run..he's free. But I do want him to be trained on a leash. He's already improving (listening to me) at first he doesn't b/c he's so excited...lol. I have to remember "NO PULL". Thanks guys!