Daily Routine

Thread: Daily Routine

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultDaily Routine

I've been intending to find a Lab around mid-July but it looks like it would be closer to the first to middle of August before one would be available. This due to availability from several breeders I have contacted so far. I teach school and mid-July would have been ideal because I would have 2 weeks or so before I would have to leave the little one alone at home alone.

If I get one in AUgust, school will be already started and I would be gone for about 4 hours before I could come home for lunch and let him out...feeding etc. I do have a fenced area outside tho but would prefer to leave him inside until a little older.

Has anyone else run into this problem and what should I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Daily Routine

Would you be able to take some time off to get the puppy acclimated to your home? Maybe get it on a Friday and take M-W off? We didn't have to leave Jake longer than maybe two hours, but at 12 weeks he was sleeping through the night, so I would guess he could've lasted longer in his crate.

So long as you are planning on crate training the puppy (I would not keep a puppy in a back yard, too easy for it to get hurt, eat something, or be stolen) I think this could work if you get some time off as well for when it first comes. If you feel nervous though, I would wait or keep looking for breeders who might meet your standards and have something available at the right time.

Also, you could always contact a rescue or shelter - they almost always have puppies available at any given time. Best of luck and please keep us updated!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

When my husband and I bought Layla (on a Sat.) we had to be back to work that Monday. It was REALLY hard to leave her and I think we both called each other 10 times talking about how worried we were.

We both have the flex. to leave for work when we need to. This is the schedule we follow everyday:

6am-up to play/eat and do business
    7:30-out to do after breakfast business
    8:00am we were out for work
    12:00am-I am home at lunch, she plays/eats a little bit and more business
    4:30pm-I am home for the day

While everyone can't follow a schedule like that (since I live approx. 7 mins from work....7min. drive). I think whatever you do; make it consistant. That way she/he will always know you will be home soon.

We also put Layla in a very small section of crate for the first 2 weeks; she did have 3 accidents during that time. Now she is used to our routine and she has no more accidents and is in an extra large crate.

While it is ideal to spend all day with your pup; it's not always realistic. Do what you can and stick to it. 4 hours is not an inhumane amount of time for a pup to be alone; he/she will be fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the tips. I just got off the phone with a breeder who may have pups available about the time it would be ideal so hopefully something will work out!

Fortunately I live about 5 mins from school so coming home for afew minutes at lunch wouldn.t be a problem at all.

Since school would just be starting I wouldn't be able to take any time right at the beginning of the school year.

Thanks!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ender has done 4 hrs twice per day since he was 12 weeks and came to visit us. We also take him to doggy day care once per week (after he got his second round of shots) so he has a non-crated day in the middle of the crated ones.

I too live 10 minute walk away from home and it's sooooo nice to come home and have a little puppy here who needs me to feed him and take him out and play with him. He loves his crate too... I'll get the frozen kong out and he'll go in his crate before I even put the kong in there.
    ~Lindsay

Hi! Ask around. You may be able to find someone who can come to your home to let the pup out too.