New Issue

Thread: New Issue

DefaultNew Issue

Hey All,

This is new to me. Petals is doing great and is growing like a weed!!! But in the last day or so she is doing something very dominate. She will be playing with her toy and getting very aggressive with it and out of no where she will stop and make a B-Line for either me or my wife. Now it is not as bad for me, because I will make it perfectly clear that I will have none of that. I will go as far as saying NOOOOO!!!! and even growl at her and she will back off, but it seems like she doesn't respond as quick with my wife. Almost as if she doesn't respect No from my wife. I have seen that a little with me, but I have to reinforce with a no and closing her mouth.

What worries me is the fact that she is doing great and getting very aggressive with the toy then she turns on a dime and comes after my wife. She is getting quick and my wife doesn't have time to get a toy to put in from of her or get the can full of pennies or get anything for that matter. If my wife says no and turns away from her to ignore her she will be bite on the back of the leg or if she is down playing with Petals she will go for the ear or anything else. What can my wife do to let Petals know that she is not the alpha dog and what she is doing is not right.

I just want to say I don't think Petals is biting out of anger.....she is just playing. Thanks ahead of time!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Issue

Sounds like she just gets too juiced up playing and then, over-excited, starts nipping. She's still just a baby -- and she may be teething -- so some of it is going to be expected. I'd get your wife quicker to substitute another toy.

I would also find some verbal clue that is more descriptive than just NO. I'd say NO BITE. You can then praise with GOOD NO BITE, which will teach the behavior and the word associated with it in half the time.

NO is a very general correction.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Please don't mistake this as aggression...
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I had a similar problem with Jack he would do that to me all the time and never do this to my husband.
    I was told by people on this site it was because he was thinking of me as his littermate (we got him at 5 weeks old he didn't have that time with his littermates so he would do that with me) and he would get very excited so he would b-line for me, my ankle and clothing - then all of a sudden one day he stopped.

Now he ONLY does this once in a very blue moon I can understand how your wife must feel (crazy and like your on high alert just waiting for him to come running)

I felt like a broken record "NO BITE" then "GOOD NO BITE" but once he got it and* it all paid off it was GREAT and worth every breath* ;D

Oh yeah and he would growl and bark when he was doing this and wanted to play it would sound like he was angry but he was worked up

I also got her very early. Also understand that we know it is not aggression and she just wants to play. I think that I am a little more aggressive with the NO BITE and the alpha dog response, where my wife doesn't have that in her. She is trying and this is her first baby, the last lab we had I raised and understand the growing pains, but she is all new to this.

Sounds like your first experience with a Puppy Tail tuck.* Allie would play with her toys and get to excited she would run laps around the house until she found someone to run into.* Not sure what running into someone provides, but even today when she tail tucks, she sprints all over the place and you need to keep an eye out because shes big and doesn't realize it.*

Her play is not aggression just excitement.* It shows that your puppy is very confortable and focused on playing instead of its surroundings.

When puppies get over exicted, the nipping does tend to happen, try to stop this action by re introducing a toy over your body.* This may mean that your wife will need to walk around with toys in her hand to always have something avaliable to her in need.