What spray is better for teaching not to chew?

Thread: What spray is better for teaching not to chew?

DefaultWhat spray is better for teaching not to chew?

Had to go to the eye doctor yesterday and so stopped by Pet Smart on the wya home. Have heard some of you all recommend different things like Bitter Apple and such. I found the Bitter Apple, but they also had one there called Bitter Yuck!! It stated something about not giving a stinging sensation like some of the other spray products. After having used it last night my response is maybe it needs that sensation.

Prince would just lick the sprayed area/item and would still mouth it. He did not seem to bite as much on somethings. He did however become an absolute biting monster on John's houseshoes after I had sprayed them. Is it the spray? Do I need to take this stuff back and get the Bitter Apple?

Oh, he was fine after awhile. He just had about 1-2 hour period there where he was driving John crazy with the biting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What spray is better for teaching not to chew?

Bitter apple seemed to work very well for me. I only had to spray it a few times and now i just need to pull out the bottle and show him and stops. Bitter apple has been around for years, i remember my parents and my grandma using it on there dogs when i was a little guy.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Be aware that neither one may work. Our Wesley ignored Bitter Apple, Bitter Yuck, and Tobasco Sauce. No, strike that, he didn't ignore them. He liked what we coated all the better. "Mmmmm, flavors!!"

LEAVE IT turned out to be our biggest savior.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

here is an interesting thing that my trainer helped me with, with my last Lab ZuZu. When we got bitter apple he put a little in his hand and had ZuZu come over to him and he said "No!" and put the bitter apple on ZuZu's nose. He told me that he wanted ZuZu to associate the taste with the word No. After that point when she would smell it she would back off. No to mention that "No" gave her a whole new meaning!!!!

Don't know if that is bad or good but it worked for ZuZu and I am waiting till Petals gets a little older before I give her that hard lesson.

I agree with Dweck our Jack would lick the area more when sprayed the only thing that worked was LEAVE IT and Cayenne pepper outside.

But LEAVE IT was the best command and saved us now we can leave shoes by the door and he doesn't touch them. ;D

We were lucky in that ours really didn't bother things; but there were 2 things he started to chew for some reason. *One was a small piece of carpet remnant, and a leg of a buffet in my kitchen (he would sit under the buffet sometimes). *I put vinegar on a paper towel and rubbed the leg; when he smelled that, he backed off....WOW; hated the smell of vinegar! *Never chewed there again. I lightly rubbed some on the carpet remnant, and it pretty much worked there too..he still chewed on that for awhile, but then eventually quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Djc1249
    We were lucky in that ours really didn't bother things; but there were 2 things he started to chew for some reason. *One was a small piece of carpet remnant, and a leg of a buffet in my kitchen (he would sit under the buffet sometimes). *I put vinegar on a paper towel and rubbed the leg; when he smelled that, he backed off....WOW; hated the smell of vinegar! *Never chewed there again. I lightly rubbed some on the carpet remnant, and it pretty much worked there too..he still chewed on that for awhile, but then eventually quit.

Seems I have seen mixing vinegar and water in spray bottle for something. Would that work for this, also. Looks like I will have to take a trip to Pet Smart this weekend. ;D

PetSmart will take back any of the chew repellants (even if you've used almost all of it) and allow you to switch it for another flavor. We had to go back 3 times until we found one that Dama didn't like.

We will have to try this as well; we cannot get Layla to stop chewing her leash. It's not a huge problem now; but it will be when she gets bigger...when I say leave it, she just ignores me and keeps chewing (haha). ;D

Just as an update on this; Prince definitely does not like it sprayed in his mouth. ;D It drives him mad. He swill get down on his front legs and bark like mad. I may still go replace it for the Bitter Apple since he still will try biting and chewing even after I spray something with it.