Potty training

Thread: Potty training

DefaultPotty training

Hi , I really don't want to sound like a broken record but my 11 week old chocolate lab Chopper seems to like to go pee only in the house. I can take him for an hour long walk get him home and wam . I find a small pee spot. He only does this once or twice a day but it can be frustrating. When he does I take him to the spot tell him a firm "NO" . Then place him outside and wait for him to go there. Which can sometimes take a while. Then I praise him for a good pee. Is there anything else that can help or is it just repetition and he will get it.

Thanx

Lee and Becky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Potty training

You MUST clean the area where he went pee with something that will TAKE the odor OUT like Nature's Miracle. I apologize if you have allready done this but since you didn't mention it, I figured it might be a problem.

If your puppy can "smell" his pee it's like a big neon sign saying "HERE IS THE TOILET!!!"

If you don't catch your puppy IN THE ACT... you can't punish him afterwards and expect him to know why you are telling him "no."

If he's peeing frequently or there is no warning (maybe not even to him) you might be dealing with a UTI.

Some more information might help us pinpoint the problem. Good luck!
    ~Lindsay

Do you take him to the same spot to pee outside everyday? A routine is very good for pups

I also agree with the above statement, the scent needs to go other wise they will just keep peeing. We had to buy a bissel steam cleaner for our carpet so when Layla has an accident; we can get rid of the smell ASAP!

Maybe you can start using treats to encourage peeing outside.

I hope that helps....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have the same problem.* Dixie is 14 weeks old.* Yesterday I let her out and walked around saying go potty and she wouldn't ever go.* Came back inside and a few minutes later she went into the dining room and squatted.* ** I caught her doing it and immediately put her out.* I clean up the spots when she has the accident---although, it's not an accident to her!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mom to Dixie
    [color=Red]her out and walked around saying go potty and she wouldn't ever go.* Came back inside and a few minutes later she went into the dining room and squatted.
    Don't come in 'til she goes. And no playing around 'til she goes. No walkies. No ball. No playing. No nuttin outside 'til she goes. And then, light the fireworks, sing her praises and go off and have fun!