Neutering question

Thread: Neutering question

DefaultNeutering question

Dash is scheduled for that dreaded procedure (neutering) :-[ in May. Its been a while since Ive had to take care of a dog after neutering. I am leaving the country a week after his surgery! About how long is it before hes able to play and be a normal puppy, and how long does his stiches stay in for?
    I know it depends on the vet, but comments on you all's past expereinces is really what Im looking for.
    And...Ive heard different opinions on the subject, but at what age is it Ok to do this? He will just be a little over 5 months, but the vet office said that they'll do it. I dont know the vet that well, its the vet that serves the agency that I adopted him from and I have to use this vet because its part of the adoption fee (neutering)
    Thanks for the info and advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Neutering question

Hello
    We had Jack's neutering done when he was just over 6 months old and the vet told me not to let him jump and rough house for about 14 days ( that was very hard to do ) he was only aloud to go on short walks around town with a leash* and he had to have his leash on in the yard

Luckily Jack didn't bother with his stitches and he did really well with everything (except the no running , jumping and rough housing was a little difficult) but we got thru it

Good Luck

Stiches need to be in 10-14 days. My dogs were back to normal within about 2 and it was difficult to keep them quiet. They didn't bother the stiches.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mine was neutered at 9 mos. (the vet suggested waiting 'til then). He was given pain meds for the first 2 days, no running, playing, or anything for 10 days, and he wasn't bothered with stitches or licking...the stitches were all internal, except for the small incision on the outside, which he didn't bother at all.