Exhaustion

Thread: Exhaustion

DefaultExhaustion

Our 11 month old male is going to be staying with some friends and their 4 year old female lab in June when we are on vacation. Tonight we had them meet so we can start to acclimate them to being together. Kimba humped, or tried to hump Lilly for 2 HOURS STRAIGHT!! He was panting so hard I thought he would have a heart attack. I am worried. Will he hump to the point of exhaustion or hurting himself? He was not willing to stop even when I knew he needed to go out for his nightly poo and pee. Will he calm down in a couple days of being around the female?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Exhaustion

Just remember this is more of a dominance issue than a sexual. That is unless he's not neutered and she's coming into season. It might take her putting him in his place a couple of times for him to stop. How does she react to his attention. I would let her handle him, if she will.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

Dani is offline Senior Member

You should not allowed this to even start....you or your friends. You should have grabbed him by his scruff and told him NO! OFF.

However, if Otis isn't neutered and the girl was in heat.....dogs will refuse to eat if they are around a female in heat. Is the bitch spayed?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kimba is not neutered and the bitch is not spayed, but not in heat or near according to the owners. I live in FInlanfd, it is not common at all to spay and neuter pets and we are planning on neutering Kimba but the vets here recommend doing this after 1 year of age.
    I am a first time dog owner and have tried to do as much reading and asking questions and research as I can. I never read anywhere that humping should be highly discouraged. So how was I suppoised to know this and what in turn does this mean. Kimba is never allowed near a bitch again?? Why is it so horrible? I thought it was typical dog behavior. In fact i just read several articles online that descibed it as this and said to reprimand with a scruff shake or anything else during this could actually do more harm then good.

As far as the bitch, she will bark at him and bite at him enough only sometimes to get him off and she does not appear to be trying too hard to get him away. Mostly she will sit and lay so he cannot get to her.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

personally, i do not think that all humping is bad.* some dogs do it to as an outlet for excitement.* mostly it's a dominence thing, but not always.* however, if the humping is leading to excessive excitement, i would try to discourage it.* also keep in mind that most dogs do not like to be humped and a fight could happen.*

my dogs hump each other during excited play time.* both are spayed/neutered, and i generally leave them alone.* they don't hump too long and it doesn't happen often.* mostly, they look like they are having a good time so i don't interfere.

if my dog humps a dog that i don't know or that dog humps my dog, i will put a stop to it.* many people discourage humping altogether as to avoid dog fights.

sounds like the female figured out how to keep him off her.* if i can tell that the dog being humped is not pleased about it and communication of annoyance is being ignored by the humper, i will interfere and make the humping dog stop.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Thank you for the advice, however, my concern is not about the bitch being humped or whether the owners mind, which they do not, it was about how exhausted Kimba had gotten and if this is detrimental to his health. I suppose I can just call my vet and ask. Again, Kimba is not neutered and was humping in a "I want to have sex" way which he does often at his age to any female he encounters. I do not believe it was a dominance issue or an excitement issue. Also, I live in Finland where a very small population of dogs are neutered or spayed. We see humping ALL the time at the dog park and owners are fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    You should not allowed this to even start....you or your friends. You should have grabbed him by his scruff and told him NO! OFF.

However, if Otis isn't neutered and the girl was in heat.....dogs will refuse to eat if they are around a female in heat. Is the bitch spayed?
    Dani,

Your giving clear advice, but can you expand on why? I dont see or have this issue, but am curious to know why this is so bad, incase I do come across it someday.

Yes, I would like to know as well. I just spent the last hour researching online and was unable to come up with one article or website that concurs that the behavior is negative in any way.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

if my dog were doing anything to the point of exhaustion, i would try to prevent that from happening. for instance, my dog loves to fetch. he would fetch til he dropped, but i don't allow that to happen. when i see signs that he needs to rest even thougth he still has the will and love for the ball, i don't throw the ball again.

i think humping for 2 hours straight is excessive, so based on that alone, i would discourage the behavior.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford