Over-heating in puppy crate
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Over-heating in puppy crate

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultOver-heating in puppy crate

Now that CoCo is beginning to take up a bit more space in her plastic puppy crate, her body heat is making it too warm for her at night, since the ventilation isn't the best.

The last two nights we have ended up taking her crate down to her pen area in the basement bedroom, where it is much cooler and we can leave the door to her crate open... she usually sleeps in her crate with her head hanging out the front. Its not too small, she has more than enough room to turn around and lie down, but there just isn't much circulation.

Last night I even removed her fleece blanket and put in a clean bed sheet, thinking this would be cooler, but she was still uncomfortable and panting so my husband took her downstairs.

We do have a wire crate, but it is much to large for our bedroom. We had been hoping that when she grew out of the puppy crate we could move her to a dog bed on the floor, with a baby gate on our bedroom door to keep her from wandering the house. But at this point she's only started sleeping through the night without a potty break, so I wouldn't trust that she wouldn't pee on the floor or chew our furniture if left out of her crate.

So, my question is - is it okay for her to sleep away from us in the downstairs bedroom? I would rather she sleep in the bedroom with us, but given the above issues, its not really possible.... unless there is something I'm not thinking of! Any advice?
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Over-heating in puppy crate

Is the puppy crate the plastic kind that comes apart in the middle? If she's still small enough maybe you could take off the top part?

If her head is hanging out the front, I assume you don't have the door closed right? So isn't it like she's free to roam the room if she wanted?

Not sure how light of a sleeper you are but I'm pretty sure I'd hear Ender if he got up in the middle of the night.
    ~Lindsay

Hello - do you have a play pen you can set up around the area you want her to stay in and put her bed in there? The one that makes a box shape with four or six panels maybe you can setup four panels and see how that works

How old is COCO?

We used a play pen for Jack during the day until around 7/8 months old and he started jumping out - we have the wire crates - Hope this helps

GOOD LUCK

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lindsay, yes it is that type... maybe we can take the top off. *I think she would be able to jump out though, but we would then wake up! *lol!

As for sleeping with the door open... I mean when she goes in there on her own to nap or when the crate is down in her pen area (the crate is at the entrance of the pen, with the door opening into it). *At night, its closed.

I don't think we would wake up if CoCo just got up and wondered around the room and peed on the floor... :-\

Jacksmom, CoCo is 14.5 weeks old. We do have the ex-pen (4' high, so she can't jump out , which is where we have put her the past 2 nights (and where she goes during the day, it works out great!). But this is down in the spare room in our basement... its far from our bedroom. I wish we could keep her in our room! She doesn't seem to mind it... actually, she likes it in there because she gets her kong in there! lol! She is usually quite excited to go in there in the mornings when we go to work, and when my husband is home some mornings she'll get very frustrated he's not taking her down there and giving her her kong, lol!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

Jo, I don't know what you ex-pen looks like but ours will go flat (collapse) and then you can make a tighter circle with it. Maybe you could close it up and put that in your room, just in the area your crate is now in. I don't know how much room you have but it does have a smaller area when you use it like that.

Lynn, that could work! I'm not sure how small it will go, but it might fit... I don't think my husband is going to love lugging it up to the bedroom each night and back down to the basement for the day time... lol!

I dunno, its only going to get worse in the summer heat and humidity... We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom and large windows to open, but the basement is much cooler. Maybe we should set up her big wire crate in the den where and put her in there at night. That way she is holding her bladder (in the ex-pen she has newspapers to go on), which is key for keeping up her potty training (which is going fairly well). We aren't going to be moving the wire crate around, the den is very cool, has big windows we can open, plus a dehumidifier and an oscilating fan. Its not in our bedroom, but it will likely be the most comfortable place for her.
    ~Jo & CoCo

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Sami has never slept in our bedroom and trust me when I tell you that she is no worse for the wear! She is a happy, well-adjusted, well-mannered lab. Just get a baby monitor so you can hear her if she needs you.

I think the wire crate in the den sounds like a good idea. Mocha didn't sleep in our room until a few months ago (she's 22 months now) She never seemed to mind at all that she wasn't with me.

ThatsMyGirl - I remember you saying this before, and I think its a great idea!

Barbara, I think I will pull the wire crate out tonight and set it up!

... Hard to believe I'm talking about heat when we had a mix of snow/rain today! But its really her body heat in the plastic kennel that's the problem, our bedroom is actually quite cool.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider didn't sleep in my room until he was 6 months old. He's very well adjusted.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast