How can I help her burn some energy ?

Thread: How can I help her burn some energy ?

DefaultHow can I help her burn some energy ?

It's been 1 week since we had Josie spayed and we were told not to let her run around like she wants/needs to do. I've tried playing with her and her toy's(the one's she hasn't destroyed in five minutes after giving them to her ). But she still a lot of energy built up and is ready to run a marathon. Any advice/help is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How can I help her burn some energy ?

Can you give her frozen stuffed kongs? They take a while to eat. Also, maybe you could teach her to guess which hand the treat is in, or to find hidden treats. Those are some more mentally exhausting activities.

Sorry I don't have more suggestions, when can she go back to normal activity?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Next Wednesday we get her stitches removed. Frozen stuffed kongs ? She has a Kong toy now and loves it she's quite funny trying to get the treats out. Do you freeze the Kong toy ? Or is there a specific one to buy ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Any Kong can be stuffed and frozen.

While she's recuperating, I'd go for more mental burning of energy. Make her find her kibble. Play hide-n-seek. Drill the stationary obed exercises. Wear out her brain and the body will follow......

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

You can plug the end of the kong with peanut butter and then throw in some plain yogurt and freeze it. I also puree green breans and cooked carrots and toss that in and freeze it. Mashed over-ripe banana works very well too If there's a canned version of your dog food you can toss that in the kong and freeze it too. This really tires Jake out

Hide and seek is a good one, but maybe have someone seeking with her on the leash - Jake runs like a madman for hide and seek.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Dweck and yelloJakesmom thanks for the tip's. I took her to see my brother today and to introduce her to his boss. I mentioned going to see Warren(my brother) and she got all excited. She has only seen him 2 times. As soon as we got to his work I said let's go see Warren and she was trying to get out of the door before it was opened. She went straight to him like she knew him all her life.

Blaze got spayed two weeks ago, and the vet told us to keep calm as can be for a week.. her stitches are the ones that dissovles so we dont have to go back to the vet to get them removed. Trust me..the one week waiting period nearly killed her... she walked around the house with a ball in her mouth whining every time she sees us....

Blaze is beautiful !!! The vet told us the same thing keep her calm as possible. Yeah right. How do you keep a 7 month old lab calm ;D ? So far she is doing really well but ready to run,jump and just act like a puppy should. Thanks for the advice from everyone.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Can't you take her out for a walk but keep her on a leash? it may not tire her like free running/playing ball but if you combine some obedience work in (heels, sits, stays, etc.) with the walk it should do the trick.

Trickster we take her for a walk every night. We are also working with her on obedience. When we brought her home she already knew the sit command. Now I have been able to get her to lay down,sit, stay still working on heel. When she starts to pull on the leash she will pull for about 3-5 seconds and stop. Sit down and wait till I come to her then off we go again. She started doing that on her own I didn't try to teach her anything like that.