A couple questions as a new puppy owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple questions as a new puppy owner

DefaultA couple questions as a new puppy owner

I have a few questions/comments that I would like your feedback on.

1. Do Labs always freak out over food? poor Layla always goes crazy over her food, it makes me feel as if we don't feed her enough. She is very well fed and gets her daily amounts of food. I am wondering how to get her to stop pawing at our deep freeze (her food is stored on top of our freezer).

2. Layla has started to bark and jump when I am at the sink running water. Even though she has water in her dish, she thinks I am getting more for her. I hate the loud barking and want to nip that in the bud...any suggestions?

3. We wanted to bring Layla to her first set of classes, do you think 10 weeks is too early?

I would appreciate any feedback you could offer!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A couple questions as a new puppy owner

#1... yes... labs are notorious for playing the "starved pup" all their lives no matter how well you feed them. Ender will do anything for food.

#2 and 3 I'll leave to the more experienced members.
    ~Lindsay

I must say, your pup is ADORABLE! well I think that about all the pups on here; Labs are just beautiful animals.

Thank you for your advice, I am happy to know I am not the only one with a begging Lab ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Just keep reminding yourself that a food drive is a wonderful motivator for training. It's harder to train a dog that doesn't enjoy eating.

As for the barking, it's kind of a trial-and-error thing. Lots of people will tell you to say "Sssh! No bark!" but since dogs don't speak English, this can have limited effects. I'll tell you what's worked for me:

1. Dog barks. Ignore it. When Layla STOPS barking, wait a count of one and then say (in a matter-of-fact tone) "Quiet." Then give her a treat. Say nothing else; stay relatively neutral. Don't be angry or overly happy.

2. Repeat #1 about a dozen or more times.

3. Dog barks. While barking, say "Quiet." If you have paired the word "quiet" with a treat enough times, the dog will stop barking. At this point, PRAISE LIKE CRAZY! and shower with treats. You have now taught the dog to stop barking.

4. Dog will learn to bark in order to stop barking and get a treat. (Behaviorists call this "back-chaining.") If you figure out how to get around this, let me know.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

On classes, I would not bring her to any class before she's had her third round of vaccinations. And I would not take her to any class that did not require you to give proof of those vaccinations.

We got Dama to stop barking fairly quickly.

When she would start barking, we'd say her name and then "Enough". If she still didn't stop, we would either remove ourselves from the room or put her in another room for 30 seconds. (I think this only works if the dog is barking to get your attention) Now, when she wants our attention, she almost barks-but then changes her mind and walks over to us.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

10 wks is too young for classes.

Tap the bottom of her chin upward and say "No bark" or "Quiet." Then praise as Nathan says. She'll catch on....

As far as number one.. Blaze is not that amused by food....never was even as a puppy.....

The sink.. Blaze loves fresh water coming out of the sink.. I am a bad mom, because I would pick her up and let her drink out of the facet sometimes....

As far as classes.. I thought about putting Blaze in a class but never had the time...But I do try and keep her social with the dogs in the neighborhood when we take our daily walks...

Thank you for the advice!

Layla just had another set of needles yesterday and the vet said she should be ok to go to classes. I think we can wait a little while yet, she is still only little.

The water thing seemed to only be a few days; she still jumps up at the sink but knows I will not give her water until she sits.

Food on the other hand...it's a mess... I can't get her to sit and she will go CRAZY for food and treats. This is why we don't use treats for training, she would never listen until after she had her treat ;D

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

If she's inhaling the food (which my Frankie used to do), she's at risk for bloat. Try putting something in her bowl that she has to eat around. I use a nylabone - it works great!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast