Another Question

Thread: Another Question

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother Question

I visited several vets and picked one out the other day who was recommended by a friend who has 2 dogs (not labs) but this vet it turns out specializes in Labs.

Anyway, I told them what I wanted to do and the said they would ask around. I got a call from them saying another patient had a litter, with 3 black males, on the 13th of April. The pups are (or will be) AKC registered and the parents are hunting dogs.

Questions: I will call and find out but even if this isn't a breeder, what do you think of possibly purchasing from this individual?

Second, if everything checks out ok, the problem is I won't really be able to bring one home until around mid-July or so. That woud put the age at about 14 weeks. Do you see any problems with this> What should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks again for the help...you guys have been great so far!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another Question

I would wait.

We got Ender in a round about "late" way and in some ways it was good and in others not very optimal. What we did was he stayed with the breeder until 10 weeks old, then he spent 2 weeks with his big brother Apollo, then came home with us at 12 weeks. Now... the 8-10 week portion was kind of "detrimental" because the breeder had eye surgery and so while he was completely taken care of, he didn't begin any potty training until he went home with my mom. Once at mom's he learned LIGHTNING fast, I think because they learn so much through immitation (he had a 4 yr old brother to emmulate) and he was hungry for learning.

Part of the reasons we did this was that the breeder was a special friend of the family and this was our "last chance" to get a Cripps puppy. I LOVE Ender with all my heart, but I realize we did things a bit the hard way and I would advice against it.

That's just my personal feelings on the matter. Ender is doing GREAT despite his "rough start"... he may be behind in some areas but he's ahead in so many that we couldn't be happier. Where there is a will there is a way.
    ~Lindsay

Dani is offline Senior Member

Stay away from Back Yard Breeders if you don't know what you are looking for.

I would not bring home a new pup at 14 weeks. If you can't have a dog until mid-July, then find a breeder that will have pups available more in line with when you can havve a dog.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Dani. They are ready to go home at 8 weeks. You would be missing 7 critical bonding weeks. Besides, the person who has the litter might not want to hang onto the pup that long for you. They are lots to take care of at that age.

Keep shopping, you'll find a breeder.

well I was hoping for a diiferent answer but you guys basically confirmed what I was thinking anyway....I'm gonna keep looking and hopefully will find a good breeder who will be having puppies the right age about that time...

When I was looking around, I saw spring litters and fall litters. I don't know if that is just how it happened to be or if that is how breeders like to do it. So, if you may end up having to wait until fall to bring home a puppy but it'll be worth the wait!

thanks for the advice. 'preciate it!