Gates for a garbage eater
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gates for a garbage eater

DefaultGates for a garbage eater

I wasn't sure where to put this, being its kind of training related but then its not. *

My oldest dog LOVES the garbage. *She LOVES anything that SMELLS like food and will eat it. *In my opinion, there is no way to train this dog to stay out of the garbage. *Its just easier to keep it out of her reach, until recently. * Usually the garbage can is in a corner in the kitchen and we'd just put up a baby gate to keep her out of the kitchen all together. *

About a month or so ago she taught herself how to knock the gate down. *It doesn't matter how securely the gate is put up, she'll get through it some way or another. *Therefore, she's being treated like a mischevious puppy again. *If no one can watch her or no one is home, she is back in her crate. *

The gate we use is one of the cheaper completely plastic gates from wal-mart. *Is there any better gates out there that are NOT easy to get down once they're up? *

I'd love to get one of those gates that secure right to the walls, but how our kitchen is set up, there is NO way of using a gate that is fastened to the walls (being the gate has to be put up between the 'fridge and counters/cabinets). *

ANY ideas on gates or possible ways of keeping her out of the kitchen will be GREATLY appreciated! *I'm getting sick of having to pick up HUGE messes and what not after she gets sick from consuming so much random garbage!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Gates for a garbage eater

I'm sure you've been over this, but is there anyway to place the garbage itself out of reach? Inside a cupboard or something?
    ~Jo & CoCo

Dani is offline Senior Member

We have a foster who loves garbage too. Have come home more than once to a trashed kitchen. We put the garbage can either out on the deck or on the countertop out of her reach.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If this were my house, I'd have a few more options to work with (but I'm living with my dad for the time being). The garbage used to be kept in a cupboard, but dad wanted to switch to a larger can and it no longer fits under the cupboard. Putting the garbage can on the counter still does nothing. This dog will NOT touch food or other items on the counter, but if the garbage is on the counter she's at in the second no one is around.

Now putting it out on the deck is a great idea and I'm going to remember this for when I'm in my own place. Here, at dad's house, I'd have a HUGE mess in the back yard to clean up then. He's got outside cats that are just as bad as my dog!!

Any more ideas or do you think this dog is just going to have to be crated until I'm in my own place with my own solution?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog03
    Any more ideas or do you think this dog is just going to have to be crated until I'm in my own place with my own solution?*
    It would be a pity to crate her if she leaves everything else untouched, but if there is no solution to the barbage, then its definitely your best choice to keep her safe and sound.

Do you know any woodworkers? Have you ever seen those wooden garbage bins, they are really quite attractive if you are leaving your garbage out... wood workers usually make them and stain them for sale at craft shows or the like. They are tall and heavy, and the lid would be difficult to get off (you could even put a hinge on, making it more difficult)... and you might be able to anchor it to the wall.

Here is what I am talking about:
    http://www.am-wood.com/may98/garbage.html

Anyhow, perhaps you could change the type of garbage bin to something doggy proof (if there is such a thing)?

~Jo & CoCo

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog03
    In my opinion, there is no way to train this dog to stay out of the garbage. *
    Yes there is. It's called LEAVE IT!

CoCosMom, that is a great idea. I think that is something that could work for us!! And yes, I too think its a pity when that garbage is her only problem.

Yes there is. It's called LEAVE IT!
    Don't get me wrong Dweck, my dog KNOWS leave it but its pretty hard to command leave it when the ONLY time the dog gets into the garbage is when either no one is home or when no one is in that room to watch her. This dog has NEVER got into the garbage when we're in the living room, dining/kitchen area or when we're in an area where we can see her. She KNOWS to wait and tear down the gate and dig in the garbage only when no on is home or if I'm in my bedroom (completely on the other side of the house from the kitchen) or if my dad is working in the basement.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Have you tried mousetraps covered with a paper towel sheet??

Another member on here recently had a dog that started at age 3 to get into the garabage. This is what he did I havne't seen any posts since then so maybe it worked.
    He put something in the trash that he knew he would go after. Went to leave for the day like normal got in the truck and drove around the block. Parked the truck and snuck back into the house into the kitchen. Scared the crap out of the dog when he caught him in the trash can and gave him a good correction. It may not work the first time but maybe a few times in a row would do the trick.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    * Scared the crap out of the dog when he caught him in the trash can and gave him a good correction.*
    I bet it did! Wouldn't you like to see the look on the dog's face when that happened??!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast