Another dumb question

Thread: Another dumb question

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnother dumb question

I have seen and read about the pads you can use for the little one to eliminate on. I have thought about using them indoors but if it would be better not to use them thats cool. What is everybody's opinion?

Oh yeah, what is a kong? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another dumb question

www.kong.com You can buy them at any pet store and online. There are even recipes for ways to stuff them! (I don't buy the stuffing... I make my own)

I wouldn't use potty pads because I think it confuses the dog. That being said, if I was unable to come home at lunch and give Ender a potty break, I would have had to use them 'cause a puppy can't hold it the whole day.
    ~Lindsay

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

We used the pads to begin with. We used the ones that smell like grass by Natures Miracle. We didn't have a problem going from pads to potty outside, but a lot more experienced people on here than we are seem to think it's not the thing to do. We only used them for about two weeks. If that's your only option, don't worry about it. It's better than nothing ;D If the weather is good, and you can, outdoors is probably better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Don't use the pads....they will actually encourage pottying indoors...and that is exactly opposite of what you want to accomplish.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Thanks for the tips!

You can train your dog to go only outside in 2-5 weeks if your consistant. I would not recommend using the pads, its creates one more step for you to get them to go outside, which only means more constancy and more time...

The way you would go from a pad to the grass is to start moving the pad towards the grass over a period of time. Obviously it takes much longer to make this transition, but it can be done.

This is my second baby and we don't use pads......You are telling your puppy that it is OK to go in the house. As long as you keep a close eye on your puppy and make sure you praise him/her when they go outside it should only take about 2-5 weeks like the others said. We have had my baby for a little over 2 weeks and she has only had an accident inside about 4 or 5 times most of the accidents were in the first week.

Here is a suggestion, get yourself a bell and hang it on your door (the door you take your pup out with) and ring it everytime you take your dog out. Then when your puppy rings the bell you take them out wether they want to or not.....you will be suprise how quick they pick that up.

Ive heard great things about the bell method. If you dont care for that method, teach your dog sit. Teaching sit is one of the simpliest commands you can teach, use treats. You should be able to teach this command in under 2-3 days (15-30 mins each day). Then take them outside every 45 mins for a week straight, or right after they eat or play for a period of time. Make them sit before opening the door, and dont open it until they sit. If you have to, force the sit by pushing their rear-end down. Once they sit, open the door, then praise...That takes just about as long as the bell method from what I hear.

Thanks again for the help! Good advice!