Stupdi Question ABout Crates

Thread: Stupdi Question ABout Crates

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultStupdi Question ABout Crates

I am hoping to get my Lab aboud mid-July. When I bring my puppy home and put in the crate the first night, I am assuming you close the door so they don't get out during the night?

Well I said I am a newbie. :-[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Stupdi Question ABout Crates

Crate training... here's what I would do...

Put a treat in the crate and encourage him to go in... do not close the door right away! Allways make going in the crate a POSITIVE thing and start out slow. Then close the door for a few seconds... open... praise... etc. etc. then go for longer.

For Ender... if we are leaving for a long period we will give him a frozen kong (banana/yogurt is his favorite)... if for a short time or at night we will give him a kong with a dab of peanut butter inside it. We also leave on music or an audiobook when he's in the crate for a long time.

Make sure your pup only has enough room to go in, turn around, and lie down. This will help him learn to hold it 'cause dogs don't like to eliminate and sleep in the same spot. But don't over do it... you can't expect a young puppy to hold it for longer than he is able. For instance... usually a 8 week old puppy can hold it for 3 hrs.

If they are sleeping (like at night) generally they can hold it longer.

If they are active or eating or drinking... they will need to go just about every 15 minutes.
    ~Lindsay

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will do that when the time comes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

With puppies, Shannon and I would take up the water at 9pm (going to bed at 10pm) to make sure she wouldn't need to go every 3-4 hours. Be very careful with this, you dont want to dehydrate you boy or girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom

If they are active or eating or drinking... they will need to go just about every 15 minutes.*

Ain't that the truth, Lindsay. ;D Prince sure seems to anyway.

All I can really add so that you don't have too many accidents in the house is pay attention to your puppy and how they act when they need to go. And it's not always the same each time.