Ender concerns

Thread: Ender concerns

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultEnder concerns

Ok... I need to know if I'm "overreacting" or not. There are a few things about Ender I've noticed that I'm concerned about...

One... the itching. How much itching is "normal" for a puppy and how much indicates an allergy or other problem? Ender scratches at his collar maybe oh... 15 times per day I'd guess... he's been wearing a collar for 4 weeks now so I would imagine he's "used" to it.

He will lick/nip/mouth his front paws, back legs including hip area... I'm not sure how often he does this...

As for diet... last week he went on a bland Hill's Prescription diet (turkey/rice) and I THINK he itched more on the bland and started itching less when we started him back on the Innova LB Puppy. But he still itches so I'm wondering what is going on or if all dogs itch sometimes.

I don't think he has fleas... I've looked him over a few times... nothing... and today he got his first dosage of Frontline so perhaps if there are unseen fleas.

My problem is going from what is "normal" to what is a problem. Sometimes I feel like I notice every little thing.

Ender gets a VERY small amount of "sleepies" (that's what I call that bit of dirt that collects at the corner of the eye)... one eye does appear to get more than the other... but it doesn't seem to me to be a large amount and probably the same amount I myself get once in a while.

Yeah.. I'm neurotic... hoping you'll let me know these things are normal to a certain extent or not.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ender concerns

Why is he on a bland diet?

Pups hate collars...they will always itch at them.

generally speaking, my vet said that most allergies do not rear their ugly heads until the ages of 1 to 3 years old. And less than 5% of dogs that have allergies are allergic to food.

Boys lick. ALOT. Rider is always licking himself and me..and the windows, and the carpet and everything. He doesn't have allergies.

Just watch it and see.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ah... the bland diet... he had one instance of diareha and coughing (kennel cough)... so vet suggested bland diet for a weekend combined with cough suppressants at night (so Ender and I could both sleep lol)...

He's had no cough or diareha problems since.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

Koko gets sleepys in her eyes a few times a day, the vet said not to worry unless they turn a "funky" color :P Koko itched at her collar for a good 2 months. I'm sure Ender is fine, you remind me of me! I worried about everything and Koko is healthy and happy so I have clamed down!

Happy Easter
    Terri

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

Baileys also scratches at her collar ??? She doesn't touch her neck unless that's on. It's really strange. She also gets "sleepies in the corner of one eye. What's up with that? One eye only?

We had a pekeapoo that was allergic to grass. But that didn't develop until she was about 3.

Our Bailey has always gotten sleepy's in his eyes. Not an issue.

Now, the last few days he's been licking his feet alot and we found between his toes is inflamed. Our daughter called the vet and he said to put ointment on it. We think he might have been walking in fertilized grass. The ointment seems to be working, though.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I have no advice but hope Ender is ok.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Ah Lindsay, you are such a good puppy-mommy!

CoCo still scratches at her collar too AND she has sleepies in her eyes... So I guess these are normal puppy things and nothing to worry about.

Still, its nice to come here and receive some support and good wishes!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Buck does the same...he scratches at his collar...infact I have seen him put one of his back paws entirely in his mouth! and just sitting there...He also itches right above his hind legs and such...I check him for fleas and bugs alllll the time...and he is on frontline...I also check under his paws to see why he'd shove that one paw in his mouth like that...didn't see anything abnormal...I think it's just something they do...
    As for the sleepies...Buck gets those too...more in one eye than the other...vet told me not be concerned unless it's runny and has a odd colored discharge...which he ended up having but 7 days on an ointment cleared that up...Now it's back to little amounts of sleepies but I think it's easing up...
    But ender's mom I know exactly how you feel...I am always getting worried something!...Buck is also one of those labs who is much more prone to ear infections than most labs...I have to clean his ears every 2 days Now the ear infections could be some kind of allergy noone knows...he is slowly being switched over to a new food...maybe it will help...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Ok... I need to know if I'm "overreacting" or not. There are a few things about Ender I've noticed that I'm concerned about...

One... the itching. How much itching is "normal" for a puppy and how much indicates an allergy or other problem? Ender scratches at his collar maybe oh... 15 times per day I'd guess... he's been wearing a collar for 4 weeks now so I would imagine he's "used" to it.

He will lick/nip/mouth his front paws, back legs including hip area... I'm not sure how often he does this...

As for diet... last week he went on a bland Hill's Prescription diet (turkey/rice) and I THINK he itched more on the bland and started itching less when we started him back on the Innova LB Puppy. But he still itches so I'm wondering what is going on or if all dogs itch sometimes.

I don't think he has fleas... I've looked him over a few times... nothing... and today he got his first dosage of Frontline so perhaps if there are unseen fleas.

My problem is going from what is "normal" to what is a problem. Sometimes I feel like I notice every little thing.

Ender gets a VERY small amount of "sleepies" (that's what I call that bit of dirt that collects at the corner of the eye)... one eye does appear to get more than the other... but it doesn't seem to me to be a large amount and probably the same amount I myself get once in a while.

Yeah.. I'm neurotic... hoping you'll let me know these things are normal to a certain extent or not.
    We are a lot alike here. I find a lot of the same things Ender is doing that Prince is also doing. I do wonder about the itching more since it seems like he has visible dander. Not a lot, but I can definitely see some white flakes. And he was doing some before we put the collar on him.

We get the sleepies, too, though not real bad. Hey we are just concerned parents that want to know nothing bad is wrong with our "kids".