New and Confused
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and Confused

DefaultNew and Confused

I kind of high jacked bearcreekgracies thread so I am making my own instead sorry for that. I need help as I am so confused on what to do. I do not know what to do at night time. My 2 month old Buddy (lab mix) is sleepy all day so at night he has quite a bit of energy and does not want to sleep. We try our best to keep him up during the day and it seems like it is getting better but still have concerns. We turned our bar which is across the house from our bedroom into Buddys room. Which consists of a bed, blanket, his food and water and a few toys. I leave food out all the time right now because he has not been eating much and is very skinny. I put a clock in his bed the other night and it seemed to help. My main concern is that the bar area is about 6x4 and he has used the restroom in there a couple of times is that going to make the potty training process go slower. I also have a 1 year old little girl named Kennedy which is one of the reasons I got the dog and can not afford Buddy waking her up all night. Any words of wisdom would be great at this point and I am sorry if I left anything out or spelling was bad I am running on about 3 hours of sleep since tuesday( day I picked up Buddy).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New and Confused

Not sure if you saw my response in the other thread... so here it is again with modifications...

Labs are people dogs... they LOVE to be in the same room with you and are comforted by the abilty to smell you and hear you breathe. If I were you, I would get Buddy a crate ASAP... since he's still a puppy... get a crate that will be big enough for him once he's full grown but for now, block part of it so he only has enough room to turn around and lay down. Put the crate in your room if you can... that way you can hear him begin to stir in the night and can take him out BEFORE he starts crying.

A good rule of thumb is that the number of hours they can "hold" it is equal to their age in months plus one. SO... a 12 week old puppy should be able to hold it for 4 hrs. At night, when they are sleeping the same schedule as you, he should be able to hold it for longer. Our 14 week old Ender sleeps from 10:30 pm to 6 am most nights.

You may have to let him cry it out a few nights. What works for us is this... we get all ready for bed and last thing we do is get a kong and put just a little bit of peanut butter inside it... then we go to our room... turn on an audiobook or NPR... put the kong in Enders crate and he goes right in and we all settle down. Now the first night, once he was done with his Kong he did cry a bit but settled down eventually.

Most important thing you can do is make sure your puppy is good and tired before bedtime... take a walk... play some fetch or hide and seek in the house... whatever it takes to get him tuckered out and ready to sleep. Also, a lot of people take up water 2 hrs before bedtime... this will help him sleep longer.

A 8 week old puppy is going to sleep around 18 hrs per day so he should be napping during the day. One of the most important things is getting your puppy on a schedule. Since he can probably hold it 3 hrs at night... you could try setting the alarm to get up and pre-emptively take him outside and give him a chance to go potty.
    ~Lindsay

I did see your response on the other thread and thanks. I actually got a crate last night but I was mainly going to use it for transportation purposes. I did put him in it this morning at about 5 to see how he would like it and he immediately pooped before I could get a divider and put in there. It seems that eveyone really believes in the crate training so I guess I will try it even though I have to admit I am not very fond of it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I'd do what Ender's mom said. My dog has his crate next to our bed. We used a divider when he was smaller. A two-month old puppy is still a baby. Expect to take him outside to potty several 3-5 times at night. As soon as he's done pottying, bring him inside, put him back into his crate (no playing at all), and go back to sleep. By the time your pup is 4 months old, he should be sleeping throught the night. Be patient with the puppy most of all. They are just like babies--a lot of work.

The thing that stood out to me in your post the most is that you got this puppy for your 1-year-old daughter. Soon, the puppy will start nipping on everything and everyone, and your daughter will be the prime target. The puppy will think she is just another playmate and trying to play the same games he would have played with his littermates, ie, nipping. As the puppy gets older, he will get bigger and stronger and will be able to knock your daughter off her feet with a wag of his tail.

This is just a phase that the puppy will grow out of and with proper training, it will happen sooner rather than later. My concern is that since you got this puppy for your daughter, she might not want the puppy once he starts nipping her. What will happen to the puppy then? Unfortunately, many puppies and dogs end up in shelters because they were bought for the kids who do not want them anymore.

I just hope that you thought this all throught and will stand behind your pup no matter what.

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

I totally agree with the crate. In your room if you can, with a divider. We don't give any kind of toys or food at night. The only thing in there is her bed and her stuffed puppy that she doesn't get any other time of the day. The divided crate will look little to you, but the puppy won't want to sit or lay down in her waste, so it will work for him. As he grows you can expand it. Just start with enough for him to literally be able to stand up and turn around.

If you're a stay-at-home mom, spend time walking him or playing with him. He won't last that long because he is still small and will want to sleep a lot. IMO the way you have him now he has freedom and food and toys, why sleep? It may take a few nights but you'll hear him just like you hear your child. Get up, let him out, and back to bed. NO TALKING TO OR PLAYING except good (-----) when he uses the bathroom. We started off with the word "potty" and now Bailey will go pretty much anytime anywhere if we say "go potty." We also got up with her and a flashlight so the room lights didn't stimulate her at night. Out the door, use it, and back to bed. I don't agree with setting an alarm because you will almost be training her to wake up at a certain time every night. Just like we're conditioned when we work to wake up after a certain period whether we have the alarm go off or not. You should be able to hear him start to move around or whine a little bit. He may pitch a fit the first couple of times in there at night. After all, he's been running loose, but it'll be worth it in the end.

I agree with Tatyana about a one-year-old and a lab puppy. You're really gonna have to be diligent in watching, because she will nip and scratch you anytime her little claws touch you. It hurts horribly, just like I would imagine razor blades do. YOu need to make sure you have very good control of him at all times. I would definitely start teaching some manners right now. Little things like sit, and wait. They won't sink in really strong but the background will be there and pretty soon you'll be surprised. Into puppy class quick as all shots are in.

Good luck.

Me and my wife are gone during the day but my mother is here to watch both Kennedy and Buddy so it works out very well. As far as the dog being for my little girl no worries because he is for everyone not just her and they are getting along great so far. We are actually the third parents for this little guy which is one of the reasons I had to take him home the other day from the pound....such a depressing place. I bought a plastic crate so what would you suggest as a dividing product? Thanks so much for your knowledge I definately need it at this point.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KSPUPPY
    I did see your response on the other thread and thanks.* I actually got a crate last night but I was mainly going to use it for transportation purposes.* I did put him in it this morning at about 5 to see how he would like it and he immediately pooped before I could get a divider and put in there.* It seems that eveyone really believes in the crate training so I guess I will try it even though I have to admit I am not very fond of it.
    Remember... an 8 week old puppy probably needs to be taken outside every 15 mintues when he's awake. *Praise him like he's won the lottery when he does the right thing. *You said you are "not fond" of the crate idea... may I ask what you mean by this?

Dogs are den animals. *Being in an enclosed space is actually comforting to them and as long as the crate isn't over-used or used for punishment, it will become your dog's special place in the house he can go to rest/relax. *You will find that many on here with adult dogs find them in the crate with the door open to take a nap or whatever.

Tatyana put it well in her post about the 8 week old pup and 1 yr old baby. *I wanted to say something like that but didn't have the words.

Remember to PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE your puppy whenever he is doing something you like... lying quietly at your feet... chewing on HIS toys... etc. *He wants to know what it takes to please you so make sure you reinforce all his good behavior.

Plastic crate/divider... most people here use a box... but you really need to make sure it's large enough that he can't climb on top of it or around behind it. You may have to take apart the kennel to put the appropriate size box in it.
    ~Lindsay

first you need to see if he needs to be wormed if he looks to skinny. Second you need to feed him on a schedule. From two to three times a day. The pup will normally have a movement a short time after it eats. You put it in the crate and let it outside everytime you take it out of the crate. You feed it and than take it out shortly after to go. You can limit the water after 7 pm so the dog will sleep all night.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

You've gotten great advice ... I just want to add one thing. *I understand that a crate may seem unpleasing to you ... but I just had to take Sami in to the vet yesterday after she got into our bathroom trash. *It resulted in a $60+ vet bill with a diagnosis of "garbage gut". * She was miserable - vomiting for half a day. *You really do need to crate your puppy when you can't watch him. It's for their own good!

I just wanted to post that i thought it was great that you adopted the puppy!...but everyone above gave great advice on what to do* *

It is A LOT of work to raise a puppy, just like having a baby ( i'm guessing ??, no kiddies yet, just Zoey), but if you put in the effort you will have a wonderful family pet for ever...and just remember (b/c i keep telling my self this) the biting, nipping, over exerburant play-ful puppy, waking up @ 5 AM for potty breaks---won't last forever...a couple of months a best.* *:P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast