Collar and leash or harness ?

Thread: Collar and leash or harness ?

DefaultCollar and leash or harness ?

Which do you use ? We were that a harness would be better for Josie. In stead of a collar and leash. Using the harness you have better control over the dog and it don't hurt the dog's throat. Just need a little advice. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Collar and leash or harness ?

Is Josie a big puller? If so, I wouldn't go with just a regular type harness with the ring attachment located on the dog's back. That type can actually encourage your dog to pull harder. If you want to go the harness route I would go with an anti-pull one. I use the Premier Easy Walk http://fritzsplace.com/easy_walk_harness.html You can buy one online or at PetSmart/Petco.

I still have Roxy wear her buckle collar w/ her ID tags just incase anything were to happen...

Dani is offline Senior Member

Collar and leash
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Collar and leash works fine for us.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Another vote for collar/leash. Teach the dog, rather than using equipment to get around an issue.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

We've used about every conceivable variety.

IF you'll work at, train your Lab to heel comfortably, you can do it with any leash/collar/halter/harness.

If you're not going to work consistently on the training to heel, my vote goes to*either the Gentle Leader "Easy Walk" or to the "Sens-Sation" (similar product) body harnesses.

Slip collars, choke collars, prong collars, plain collars can all be used (and were, for many years), to teach dogs to heel.* It can be done.

Prong collars and the "head collars" such as the Halti and "Gentle Leader" relieved owners of Labs that were not well trained to walk civilly on a leash.

The prong collar gives an incentive (avoid pain, discomfort) to the dog to not pull so hard.

The head collar switches the dog's head to the side when it surges forward; when it can't see where it would be going, it slows down.*

A problem with the head collar, though, is that many dogs resent the strap over the muzzle.* About 10-15% NEVER adapt to it and continually paw at it, trying to get it off.* Maybe 30% tolerate it -- it means going to*worthwhile places.* And the rest have no problem with it.

The "Easy Walk" and the "Sens-Sation" body harnesses work on similar principles as the head collars in that they turn the dog.* The point of attachment of the leash is in the center of the dog's chest.* So* a pull turns the dog to one side or another.

We've used a variety of collars and harnesses.*

I recently bought an "Easy Walk" and prefer it to the "Gentle Leader" head collar.* Heeling isn't usually a really big deal for me with Puff.* If she stays within, say, a couple/several feet of my legs, that's fine.*

Puff hates the over the muzzle strap of the oriiginal "Gentle Leader" HH.*

We came to an understanding that, if she'd briefly tolerate it, I'd leave it on no longer than necessary.* I loosen up that over the muzzle strap to the point she could easily pull it off* but that also* lets ME easily do that. So I can reach down with a finger and convert it from a collar leash to a head halter leash within a few seconds -- and just as quickly convert it back again.

The GL "Easy Walk" lacks that instant conversion capability but the initial tolerance is FAR better.*

And you CAN train with it if you so desire.

So it all depends on your Lab and your particular circumstances, your time, your motivations and desires, plus your Lab's particular characteristics.

HJTH

(Sorry that I see no simple or absolute answers if that's what you wanted.)

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Bob thanks for the input/advice. I'am not looking for an easy way out. We are going to be enrolling her into training classes very soon. We are going to continue using the collar and leash.