We are changing his name...

Thread: We are changing his name...

DefaultWe are changing his name...

to Hoover!!

Does anybody else has this problem, Tasman puts EVERTYHING in his mouth.
    Ok it's a Lab so they do that. But I find little stones pieces of shell and all sorts of other things coming out in his poo again.
    What to do....? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: We are changing his name...

Teach the command "leave it". It's essential. You do need to be careful about rocks and other items like that ~ not only could they cause damage to the intestinal track, but it could also cause an obstruction.

There are a couple of different ways to teach "leave it". Our trainer uses her shoe over the item to block the dog from getting it. In other words, put a treat on the floor and when the dog goes for it, cover it with your shoe and say "leave it". I trained Sami using a leash and I would drop an item (toy, food, etc) and when she went for it I would hold her back and say "leave it". And then I would reward her with a treat and say "good leave it". She picked this up pretty fast.

Thanks for tips on teaching leave it. That will be helpful.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Yes, this is something I have put off working on for some reason. We NEED to teach CoCo this command though. Thanks for the training tips, I think we'll start tomorrow!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Thanks for your advise! I will start a.s.a.p. I did not think he was actually eating them just putting it in his mouth and spitting out again but apparently he does..
    Thanks again

Kimba ate everything in site he found on the ground until about 7 months. Now leave it actually works with him. Sometimes they just need to grow out of it. He never got sick and only threw up once from eating a tree branch. Your pup should be fine. And I mean he ate EVERYTHING, pebbles, rocks, grass, trash, dirt, etc etc

Oh jeez! When Bailey was a puppy he ate everything too. We laughed about how careful about his diet we are when he goes outside and eats whatever. One morning he came strutting up to me crunching something and stuck my finger in is mouth get it and it was dried up cat poop. YUCK!!

biscuit is offline Senior Member

Oh my Goodness, I can SO RELATE!! When Biscuit was a pup, he wasa hoover as well- it drove me crazy! Everything went in his mouth, particularly outdoors things like acorns, sticks, pinecones, etc. It made leash walking difficult. : I taught him the "leave it" command at our obedience class and I used it all the time. Made a game out of it, really, and he learned it realy well. The most tiresome thing, hwoever, was having ME keep on top of it. I felt like I had to be so vigilant all of the time, terrified of a blockage if he ate something that was going to get "stuck".
    I used all sorts of things to keep his mouth occupied. Frozen raw carrots were helpful at times when he was teething. I would also set up things around him like toys, non edibles, bones, etc., and teach him what was ok to put in his mouth and what was not. Those things that were not ok, I'd spray with bitter apple spray, so he could associated an unpleasant taste with it. It took a while, but he really learned well and he stopped this behavior by about 6 mos. Although, he DOES still like to chew sticks, even at 2 years old :
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

The thing is he only does it outside, we are walking on the beach in go shells, stocks rotten fruit etc.
    Inside I can trade shoes for favourite shoes etc outside it's a real hassle.
    Nice to hear they WILL grow out of it! I was getting a bit worried how to deal with this one over the next 15 years