Fencing

Thread: Fencing

DefaultFencing

I have narrowed my search down to two styles of fencing. Underground fence vs. Wireless fence. I am leaning towards the PetSafe wireless fence with a 90 ft. radius. Does anybody have any feedback on that style of fencing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Fencing

Can anyone answer this for Pakrz? Wanted to make sure it didnt drop off the list...

I know there are some on here that use both give them some time hopefully they will answer. Maybe try posting in Lab Chat if they don't. All I know about them is you still need to supervise them and be careful that the batteries are always fresh as they will know when they are not working and can then get out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

We have the wireless fence with the 90 degree radius. We really like it. Ours is set at around 45 degree radius. There are some pros and cons though.

It is a complete circle from the "box" so you need to make sure you have enough room on each side of your property to make it fit. We put it in the basement and measured from that plug before we even bought it just to make sure it was feasible.

Also remember it is a radio signal (hence no buried wire) so if there is something interfering with the signal it will not be there. We noticed if we were using the lawn mower, the signal was broken in certain areas. Also they tell you in the directions that the boundary signal can vary up to a foot.

That being said, we really do like it and wouldn't have it any other way (of course an actual physical fence would be the best) It took a very short amount of time for Raven to get used to her boundaries. You still should do the full 30 days of training though to be sure. We installed this when she was 7 months old and she is now 2 years old. We have not had any problems and took down the flags after a few months. It gives her so much freedom. She knows her boundaries very well and will not cross them for any reason (not for balls thrown out of bounds, not even for bunnies!) Of course remember it doesn't prevent other animals or people from entering your yard. We never let her out unattended. We are always either with her or watching from the window. If you have other questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go with the wireless fence. Today was the first day I had it in use and Max already has a decent grasp of his boundries. We will follow the manufacturers directions on training though.

Rayofsun - I do have one question. Do I need to turn the transmitter off when Max isn't outside or can it stay on all the time? Will leaving it on wear out the transmitter or weaken the batteries on the receiver/collar?

Thanks!

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

We leave ours on all the time. It would be a hassle to keep turning it on and off. But I never even thought of it. The only way the batteries die quicker, is if your dog keeps testing the boundaries. Any time it beeps or shocks, that is what is using the batteries the most.

Good luck with it.