Jumping on the couch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping on the couch

DefaultJumping on the couch

Zoey is now 14 weeks, and is big enough to jump on the couch...when she was smaller, she couldn't reach, BUT now she can!*
    She jumps up on the couch every time she can, and we tell her "Zoey Off"* in a stern voice...my wife says it and pats the ground so Zoey will come,, but 2 seconds later, she's on the couch again.* We repeat this process like 10 times in a row, and by then we're so frustrated, we put her in the kitchen for 5 minutes, then take her out, and it starts over again.* *??? :P

We've tried given her fozen kongs, and it worked at first, but now she wants to take them onto the couch! I know we're being consistent in telling her "off", but what else can we do??* Suggestions?* Advice??
    Am I doing something wrong??* oh.,..forgot to mention we have cats too, but they're not on the couch when Zoey is in the living room. does is matter that Zoey can see them on the couch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Jumping on the couch

Well I don't know about the cat part, but if I had to guess I would say that it makes the couch look especially enticing ;D

Sami started jumping up on the couch around 3 - 4 months of age. We would immediately push her off and say "Off" in a loud stern voice. If she even looked like she was going to jump again I would remind her "No, stay off". She picked it up really fast and probably only tried it with me two times. It did go on a little longer w/ my kids (I actually caught Sami looking around to see if I was in sight before she would attempt to jump up on my kids -- smart, aren't they!?) but it was all nipped in the bud pretty quickly. As with all things, consistency is key.

For the first year of her life Oona wore her collar in the house and dragged a 6ft leash around. If she did anything that was inappropriate, like getting on the couch getting into the plants, or chewing something that wasn't hers followed by praise when she did the right thing.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

This is a tough one. By using the collar/leash and enforcing "off," you can definitely keep her off while your around to manage it. But if she really wants up there, she'll figure out a way to do it if she has access when you're not around. Best thing: Never let her up, ever. There are various ways to train her to stay off the couch when you're not around, but they are tedious/annoying/unpleasant (IMO).

Our solution: We bought blankets.

When we got Josie last week she got on the couch real quick. My wife didn't like it at first but then she started to let her get up on them. I was trying to tell her no and get down. So when Josie got spayed I told my wife now is the time to keep her off the couch. Ever since she's been home it's been working. She don't even put her front paws on them.

We took the advice of keeping Zoey on a leash while in the house, and it's worked really well...her behavior is great too!! Or maybe I'm just thinking that she's being a very good puppy! ;D

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    For the first year of her life Oona wore her collar in the house and dragged a 6ft leash around.* If she did anything that was inappropriate, like getting on the couch getting into the plants, or chewing something that wasn't hers followed by praise when she did the right thing.
    Olie
    So you put the leash on her if she did something wrong? This sounds like something I might have to try with Prince.

They make a leash that is just a handle. With my last girl my teacher told me to get one so we can enforce behavior without having a 6ft leash on her. The leash I am talking about looks just like a handle and would hang off your baby and not drag on the floor, so you have something o hold on to so you can correct him/her when they are bad

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeysDad
    She jumps up on the couch every time she can, and we tell her "Zoey Off"* in a stern voice...
    That's only half the equation. Make sure to praise the success!! "GOOD OFF, ZOEY! Good Girl!" You want to make her feel BRILLIANT for figuring out that she's NOT to get on the couch. Reinforce the good. Correct the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by shamrox

They make a leash that is just a handle. With my last girl my teacher told me to get one so we can enforce behavior without having a 6ft leash on her. The leash I am talking about looks just like a handle and would hang off your baby and not drag on the floor, so you have something o hold on to so you can correct him/her when they are bad
    Thanks for the description. And OMG Petals is absolutely adorable!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast