Crate size? Going to the bathroom? SLEEP?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate size? Going to the bathroom? SLEEP?

DefaultCrate size? Going to the bathroom? SLEEP?

Hi there.

I just got my new pup today and we got a bunch of newspaper and stuff, and she's learned to use that if we can't get her outside in time.. which is good, I'm guessing.

But, I'm wondering what size crate I should get my little girl? She's 10 weeks old, 19 pounds, and she's BEAUTIFUL.. but I want to train her right. She's my first puppy.

Also, I have a little carrier thing that I picked her up in. She's almost too big for it. She can turn around, but she kind of has to squeeze. We used to use it to carry 2 cats at a time if needed for emergency..... should I put her in that before I go to sleep?

Right now she's just chilling out beside my bed on her first blanket(and she's fallen in love with it).. should I just let her chill there for the night?

Heeeeeelp. I need some sleep.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate size? Going to the bathroom? SLEEP?

Crate her at night...so she doesn't wake up and get herself into trouble or go to the bathroom right there on the floor...Get a crate with approximately 28"W X 42"D X 31"H as the dimensions...make sure you get a divider and section it off...and if you get a crate of this size you can increase the amount of space she needs as she grows...give your pup just enough room to get up and turn around comfortably...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

I bought a 42" Life Stages. It has the divider. In my family room it looks huge but my breeder uses that size for her full grown dogs (just when they need to be in a crate) and they fill it up. So, be sure you get one that will be large enough when your dog is full grown or you'll be going back and buying a second one. She'll be full grown long before she's grown up

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If you put papers down it may take longer to housebreak her because she will be confused as to what she is supposed to do, should I go inside here or outside? There are three times that puppys need to go out, right after they wake up. Right after they eat. During play. If you take her out right after the first two and right before the third one you should catch her before she has an accident. But if you do stumble and don't get her out in time don't make a big deal out of it. If she does have an acccident blame yourself for not getting to her in time. DON'T EVER RUB HER NOSE IN IT! If she does have an accident use a product like Natures Miracle to completely clean the area. This product and ones like it eliminate any oders that she can still smell. When you do clean up the mess make sure she isn't in the room, you don't want her to get the idea that this is your job. Get used to watching for her signals, if she is sniffing around on the floor she may be looking for a spot to go. Always take her out the same door so she isn't confused. Tie a bell on a string from the doorknob so the bell is at the level of her nose and have her touch and ring the bell as you are taking her out. Pretty soon she will associate this sound with going out. At night take the waterdish away around 8pm. Crate her at night but in an area close by so you can get up to take her out in the middle of the night. She should be sleeping through the night in about 2 weeks. The guage that most people use to tell how many hours their dogs can hold their bladder is their age in months plus one. So if she is 10 weeks she needs to go out at least every three hours.
    good luck
    Olie

Great advice here! Big a big crate, block off the back half with boxes or a divider as mentioned.

Stop with the paper method, its no different than pee pads, neither are a good idea unless you dont mind taking twice as long on potty training. Allie was trained for potty breaks after 2 weeks (8 weeks old). During those 8 weeks, we only had two accidents, both our faults. Do the bell or the sit by the door method, they both work wonders, even at other peoples houses.

Allie is so trained, Im not sure she could go on the carpet, she cant pee unless she finds some spot of real grass, green or dead.

While your taking your puppy out, give a command, "go potty." Allie was push and push for anything to get her after potty treat. They dont take long, try your hardest to establish going in the house is wrong. Pee pads give mixed signals, thus is why it takes much much longer to teach...

Another thing I don't understand is doggie diapers. What's that all about ??? Unless your dog is going through a health problem where he just can't hold it, I think those and the pads are all just marketing. Ways to get our $$

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Doggy diapers are for females in heat 'cause they leak blood all over the place.
    ~Lindsay

My pup is also 10 weeks and she is my first one as well. We have crated Layla from the very beginning. We bought an extra large one (due to the fact we didn't want to buy more than one) and used the top to section off the crate into 2 parts. We used the smaller side for her sleeping, and the larger for the day while we were at work.

This worked VERY well until she learned how to jump out of the crate! now we have the whole thing open and (*knock on wood*) she hasn't had one accident even though she has a ton of room.

Oh and about paper training, we tried that with Layla and she always hated paper. She prefers to go outside, but if we are desperate (and so is she to pee) she will go on the paper. I must say we do live on the 10th floor of an apartment building and she pees about 6 times from supper until she goes to bed.

I didn't find paper training help or hindered her training.

Lindsey, these are different. My daughter had to get those for her Kailey, but these are diapers. What won't they think of next?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast