Nipping
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nipping

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultNipping

Buck just randomly nips at people's hand I say NO BITE in a stern voice but I have not noticed a whole lot of difference...is this normal puppy behaviour? He used to try to chew on my hands before but I stopped that with saying NO and putting a toy in his mouth...this new behaviour is distressing...he doesn't do it with a growl or out of angery I don't think...he will be playing or running around then suddenly tries to nip at you...he just wants to put your hands or arm or shirt in his mouth! I say NO BITE! and then stop all games and walk away...but I am concerned about this...any advice out there?
    oh and he absolutely does not like it when you hold his snout...when I do this he get even more unruly!

<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Nipping

Labs are very mouthy. Nipping is normal and you just need to be consistent... it will end eventually. How old is he?
    ~Lindsay

Buck is 14 weeks old right now...I noticed the sudden increase in this behaviour over the last week...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Btw that is such a cute photo of Ender ;D

Dani is offline Senior Member

He'll be starting to get his adult teeth soon...I bet his mouth is feeling pretty sore. throw a wet wash cloth in the freezer and give it to him to chew on...before long you will be finding little teeth all over the place.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Uh oh! That's what I was suspecting...but wanted to make sure it wasn't some behaviour issue...frozen wash clothes, nylabones..lots of chewy toys for him I guess

Just out of curiosity...Roughly how long does this whole transition from baby teeth to adult teeth take?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the compliment... I'm sure I'll soon be joining you in the teething phase!!

Ender LOVES a frozen washcloth every once in a while.
    ~Lindsay

Dani is offline Senior Member

really depends. anywhere from 14 to 24 weeks. I think Rider was done by 20 weeks.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Defaultworried

*sigh* Buck jumped up nipped at my leg and ripped my pants and cut me cuz I would not run with him on the other end of the leash...I told him NO BITE! and brought him inside calmly and asked him to go to his "home" (crate) which he did...now he is there...calmly sitting not being upset like he usually is this time of day if I crate him...I didnt know what else to do :-\

I am beginning to wonder if teething is the only reason...

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

bet it's the teething. We've never had a lab before and had never seen a dog nip and bite like she does. It's 84 degrees here and my husband has on a sweatshirt and jeans because he still doesn't trust her although she NEVER does it anymore. : It's just a phase. Try to wear old clothes around the house. I had two very good blouses torn up and a couple of pairs of pants before I learned. He will grow out of it. Bailey is almost five months and has lost all her baby teeth. New ones coming in daily. It will stop, I assure you. You just have to endure. :'( Be consistent, no bite. And crating is fine when she doesn't mind, but don't leave her in there very long. He will lose track of why he's in there. Just have lots of toys to give him. We gave Bailey a specific bone to put in the freezer wet. I didn't want her to know socks and washclothes because I was afraid she wouldn't know the difference in them and clean or dirty clothes. But washclothes frozen will work. They will feel great on her gums. Also ice cubes. Bailey doesn't hear the ice maker now that she doesn't think she needs a piece of ice. ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast