Brushing Pup's teeth?

Thread: Brushing Pup's teeth?

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

DefaultBrushing Pup's teeth?

Never have I ever had to brush a pup's teeth. Doggie breath is just that, so not really worried because I DON'T kiss my pup on the mouth.

Having said that, I know it's good to keep their teeth in good condition and have found that chewing does the answer. Other two dogs had no problems with their teeth.

Won't touch rawhides. And gosh darn, those pig's ear made my Kuvacz deathly ill, so not going that way.
    Antler seems to be doing really well. Keeping an eye on his teeth. Nice and clean so far.

Any suggestions, other than getting "Greenies" which Jake devoured in 2 bites. Breeder did suggest toothpaste, but heck never seen this done before and would only really consider toothbrush and paste if going to show, which our pup will never be in.

Thanks!

KAZ

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Found this on elk antlers.

The Benefits of Elk Antlers For Dogs

KAZ

Another article regarding pups and Antlers

Are Elk Antlers For Dogs A Good Chew Toy?

KAZ

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

I dont brush my dogs teeth. Only because he is a chewer and he keeps his teeth nice and clean. For this purpose, nothing works better than a nylabone. I buy him these ones as they are his favortite. He chews the ends, and the more he chews the sharper and more fibery they get and that really gets in and cleans his mouth. His gums are in great shape and his teeth are perfect. I also give him antlers. He devours them. I started giving them to him less as they are hard on his teeth. My girlfriends parents dog has been enjoying antlers a lot recently. They just spent 700 dollars on having one of his teeth fixed because it cracked. Just have to monitor them as we do with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post
    I dont brush my dogs teeth. Only because he is a chewer and he keeps his teeth nice and clean. For this purpose, nothing works better than a nylabone. I buy him these ones as they are his favortite. He chews the ends, and the more he chews the sharper and more fibery they get and that really gets in and cleans his mouth. His gums are in great shape and his teeth are perfect. I also give him antlers. He devours them. I started giving them to him less as they are hard on his teeth. My girlfriends parents dog has been enjoying antlers a lot recently. They just spent 700 dollars on having one of his teeth fixed because it cracked. Just have to monitor them as we do with everything.
    Nylabone sounds like a really good idea. Can you post a link? Would appreciate it.

Shame about your girlfriend's parents dog. Have heard antlers can crack or splinter, but also heard you have to watch WHERE you buy them. Have brought several and had no problem so know where I'm getting is watching their stock.

But with anything monitoring is the key.

Thanks again. Look forward to see the link.

KAZ

Found out myself. No problems

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...s%20for%20dogs

Pup already has one. Does chew it but will go for the antler instead.

KAZ

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Found out myself. No problems

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...s%20for%20dogs

Pup already has one. Does chew it but will go for the antler instead.

KAZ
    SORRY KAZ I FORGOT THE LINK - its this one in the largest size

KJW
    KJW is offline Junior Member

Never have brushed teeth of any dog we have had ( while growing up or my own )

Only caution I would make would be to keep an eye on your pup while chewing whether its nylabone or an antler . Max has a hairline crack in a tooth from one of them . Feel more comfortable with bones if he is going to chew

kathy

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Raw marrow bones since you won't use rawhide. I certainly wouldn't bother brushing the teeth of a puppy except if you want to get them used to it for an adult.

We've never had problems with USA made compressed rawhide and retriever rolls. All of our dogs get them. Even the puppies.