Eatting

Thread: Eatting

DefaultEatting

So we have Lola on the two times a day plan. After we pain stakingly prepare her food (pour it outta the bag) she doesn't eat much. This has kinda been going on for the last 3 days.

she gets about a 2 cups I believe. Although in the morning and evening she doesn't eat much. Some times she'll clean it out, although for the last 6 meals she's hardly touched it.

she does get treats through out the day. Although mainly for not going to the bathroom inside.

Is this normal for a growing pup? I could have thought she's like I was when I was growing up. I bottomless pit, and terror to all that was edible.

Anyone have any insight as to why my pup doesn't want to eat her food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eatting

Hmm.. I'd be concerned 'cause Ender is a HOOVER (or rather a DYSON) when it comes to anything edible... most labs are.

Firstly, you need to check out what food you are feeding her and do a little research on how much to feed given her age and weight. (I found out I was feeding Ender too much and he had loose stools because of it). After checking that out...

How do you feed her? Do you put down the food and take it back up at some point? Are you giving her a lot of high calorie treats? It may be that she is self-regulating (highly unlikely for a lab) or doesn't like her food (was this a new bad or sudden thing?) or there is something wrong.

After I had ruled out the serving size, bad bag options, I would definitely take Ender to the vet to check and see if there was a health reason. Is she acting her normal self? Drinking normally?
    ~Lindsay

Dani is offline Senior Member

If the bag is stale then she may be telling you something.

Otherwise, you put the bowl down, give her 15 minutes to eat and then pick up the bowl. Whatever she doesn't eat, she gets at the next feeding....do not add to it at all.

A dog will not intentionally starve itself, but you don't want to encourage a picky eater either.

Check the staleness factor.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It shouldn't be stale. It's only been open maybe a week.

She's getting Iams Puppy chow. I think it's Iams at least. It's a yellow bag.

Although I do, do that. Put it down let her have at it. If she doesn't eat it then, then I take it up and she's SOL until next time. The first time I did that I thought she would just inhale it.

The treats my be rich. There Milkbones. I don't know if they are bad or not. Sometimes she get's a Kong with Kibble when we leave that's sealed with some Kong spay paste in a can. I am sure someone knows what I am talking about.

She went to the vet last week. He gave her the OK. Maybe we're just giving her too much and she's eating enough, and it's just not taking a dent out of the pile?

How much should I be giving a 10 week Old pup in a sitting?

Sometimes some bags are stale even before you open them ... or it's a "bad" bag. She may sense this and that is why she isn't eating.

Does she eat it all when it's in the kong with the stuffing? Then perhaps that's not the problem. I would buy a new bag and see what happens.

Iams isn't a very high quality food so I doubt you are feeding her too much... unless you are going heavy on the milk bones and kong stuffing.
    ~Lindsay

How much does she weigh? (I ask because labs can have quite a range of "sizes" even at the same age... i.e. Coco's mom's Coco is like HALF the size of my Ender and they were born a day apart)
    ~Lindsay

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

Bailey has never been a "Hoover." She eats when she's hungry and she doesn't when she's not. She gets the same amount every day. My DH laughs because she'll leave at least one or two pieces in her bowl every time. Drives him crazy : We give her 20 minutes. If she's not through, it comes up. Sometimes humans are hungry and sometimes they're not.

Maybe like Dani said, the bag is stale. I'd get another and see. I

Our Bailey was not a big eater when he was a puppy either. I thought that was odd but the vet said he was fine. He never did develop that love affair with food and we free feed him now. He eats what he needs and no more.

She's gotta be 20+ pounds now. She's not the little puppy we brought home.

Although she's eating all her food now. We just leave it down throughout the night and she plugs away at it. The only real experience I have with lab's is my aunts dog. They accidentaly left a bag of food down. Took Radar all of 2 minutes to eat it. I still think she looks like a sausage on legs.

When we break out the Kong or the little ball she's gotta play with she'll eat it all up. So I don't think it's the food it self. Maybe she is a dainty little thing and doesn't want to gorge herself in front of us.

My pup is almost 10 weeks and she goes CRAZY over food; she just knocks me out of the way to scarf her food down as quick as possible. She eats SO fast she is done in less than 20 seconds.

We only feed her 1 3/4 cups of food a day with treats; she is now 14 pounds.

Maybe it is the brand she is not fond of; I would buy a small bag of something else and see if she will eat that.