Fencing Options?

Thread: Fencing Options?

CCDogMom is offline Junior Member

DefaultFencing Options?

Do you have any experience (good or bad) with an electric fencing system? I have a very active 7 mo. old chocolate. Standard fencing for all or part of my yard is just not going to work. My first priority is her safety, followed by my desire to have her run and play unleashed in the yard if possible. Right now I use a 30 foot training leash. It works, but I'd like to consider the fencing option. I, of course, would never leave her outside unsupervised for long periods of time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CCDogMom View Post
    Do you have any experience (good or bad) with an electric fencing system? I have a very active 7 mo. old chocolate. Standard fencing for all or part of my yard is just not going to work. My first priority is her safety, followed by my desire to have her run and play unleashed in the yard if possible. Right now I use a 30 foot training leash. It works, but I'd like to consider the fencing option. I, of course, would never leave her outside unsupervised for long periods of time.
    What kind of property do you have that regular fencing won't work? Are you in a rural area or is it developed? Are you set back from roads?

Also, I'm assuming that by electric fencing system you mean an invisible buried fence with a e-collar on the dog? These - I do have some experience with.

CCDogMom is offline Junior Member

Yes xracer4844, I mean invisible buried fence. We have a small yard with a lot of vegetation (shrubs & trees) around the perimeter behind which is thick woods. It would be very expensive to clear enough vegetation to install a standard fence. We also feed a feral cat that comes and goes, so we can't (don't want) to completely fence off the yard if it means that the cat can't make it to our back door to be fed (she depends on our food for her survival but keeps her distance from us). After posting my question about fencing, my vet said that training a dog to co-exist with an invisible electric fence can be done, but with some anxiety for the pet owner (watching your dog get zapped until he/she learns). Also, he said that some dogs can eventually go right through an electric fence if the motivation is strong enough (to chase a cat or to chase away a preditor, for example). So, I've decided to just continue using my 30' training leash, taking her for walks and trips to the dog park, together with occasional doggie daycare. I've decided that I don't feel comfortable with her being out in the back yard alone.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Your vet is absolutely correct. The problem with invisible fences is that the dog doesn't know where it is. Growing up we lived on a small court with 9 other homes. Each home was on over an acre lot surrounded by thick forest. Our neighbors decided to put an invisible fence in around their property so that the dog could be left outside when they weren't home, or while they were getting ready etc. They had followed their property line which was surrounded with decorative boulders with this fence in hopes that it would be easier for the dog to distinguish where the fence was.

The dog did get zapped many many times and eventually figured out where not to walk. However, if he was motivated and excited enough he would run right through it over to our property to say hello. There were many many times where we would come home and see him on the street or on our property. I know it sounds irresponsible and it is...but everyone on the street was very close. We all knew each other and could phone each other whenever.