Couple of questions about our Gabby

Thread: Couple of questions about our Gabby

DefaultCouple of questions about our Gabby

This is our first puppy, so we want to make sure things are going well.

1. At first we started feeding Gabby with Nutro, but yesterday we began our switch to Purina Pro Plan for Puppies (large breed). We just hope that this is the right food for her. For some reason Purina stands out in my mind, but at the same time we have this idea that the brands that are only found at vet's places are the ones we should buy. Since we can also find Purina anywhere, does that mean it's not as good?

2. Gabby is almost 10 weeks old and last night was the first night that she actually slept for the night, is that normal. We know we're really lucky that first of all, she never whines at night at all, but now even better, she didn't even have to use the potty last night. Is this normal? Or too good to be true?

3. How often should she be using the restroom. We've also noticed a decrease in this since we've first had this. She doesn't poop as often, but they always look healthy. Before (6 weeks), she would poop every 2 to 3 hours, now it's nowhere close to that, but she still pees whenever she gets a chance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Couple of questions about our Gabby

Food switching... just curious as to why you are switching her food... does the breeder have an opinion? A lot of breeders know what works for their puppies and it may even be stipulated in a contract what brand to feed for the first year or so. If she's doing good, it is best not to switch unless a problem arrises.

Sleeping through the night... at 10 weeks, consider yourself lucky and don't expect it of her every night. Ender, 13 weeks, allways makes it to 4:45 am at least and we are flying high when he makes it to 6.

Not sure on the poop thing. ;D I'm sure others will have much better advice.
    ~Lindsay

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'm curious to know too why you switched from Nutro to Purina. Nutro is a decent food and if your pup was doing well on it, I don't think there should be any reason to put the pup through that. I also don't believe that large breed food is necessary...it's more of a gimmack in many foods.

sleeping through the night starts happening around 10 weeks...it should really start getting better now.

Did you get Gabby before 8 weeks? Your post indicates even before 6 weeks...which sends up a HUGE RED FLAG to me. But reguarding the poop...dogs start getting into a routine...and that is good. The less she poops the more ingredients and nutrients she is absorbing from her food...so she's prolly going through a growth spurt.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi Ender:

About the food, the vet recommended the food, not the breeder. *The breeder already had the puppy under that food. *Tricky. *I guess we have some thinking to do.

We got Gabby at exactly 6 weeks. These breeders sell their puppies on this street known for selling puppies. Everyone parks their car on the side of the road and everyone does some puppy shopping. We're not breeders, we just reallly wanted a puppy and got Gabby. The more it looks like, the more it seems that I should keep her on that food we have for her. We had just started the switch yesterday (putting little bits of the new food with her old), so I guess we can just stop that switch. The main reason for the switch was that the vet recommended 6 different foods and none was that Nutro. It was working well. I guess I will donate the Purina food to the shelter. Gabby is sleeping better and is slowly doing better at everything.

Dani is offline Senior Member

YOu have to keep in mind that a puppy that is brought home before 8 weeks will nip longer and sometimes take longer over all to get things because she was denied that crucial interaction with her littermates and mother.

Nutro is a decent food.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I'd stick with the breeder's food personally unless the puppy is having problems with it. *No offence to vets but most don't know much about foods and what is good and what is not. *It's hard on their systems to switch this early. *

As far as the food for future reference. *Purina has a wide variety of food ranging from yuck to pretty good for them. *Pro plan is the top of the list and is a good food. *Nutro is a good food too though so there isn't a need to change because of quality.

Mocha slept through the night at 9 weeks and I know some that don't until they are 4 months just depends on the dog. *Hopefully she will continue to sleep for you. *

As far as the pooping I think she's just into her routine and her system is getting regulated so it uses the food more efficiently. *As she grows it will change especially when she's growing and eating more.

We really didn't know that at that time but have been educating ourselves on Gabby a whole lot since. *I'm really doing the best that I can to give her all the attention I can, although I do understand that I cannot replace her littermates and/or her mommy. *We just contacted her breeder and Nutro is what they have been feeding their puppies and older dogs all along, so I guess we're keeping her on her regular diet. *

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

We got Bailey at five weeks. Didn't know any better. I would not do that again, but only because of what I've read. We got her two days after her five weeks, and she slept through the night the third night and was running to go to the bathroom in her area by the second day. Didn't have any problem transisting to outside. She is great in obedience school. She's not been any trouble except we didn't understand that labs nip and bite like they do. She's five months now and the sweetest one, now that she's lost her baby teeth.

But if you look in Lab Chat and see Labaddicts dogs as littermates playing, you'll see that it's something they really shouldn't miss. We won't get one that soon again, but only for that reason.

Like Dani said, the better the food, the more they absorb and the less they poop. My daughter was on Eukenuba and that's what we feed only because of that. Bailey eats great and her poops are small. They will pee a LOT at that age, so just realize that. The older they get, the better they hold it.